Subject: Bubble and Squeak
From: "Robin Cowdrey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 23:26:35 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Bubble And Squeak

I thought I had the TFL recipe but obviously didn't save it.  I think this
is close.  They may not have used the onion.  I do remember lots of lard,
however.  The fat will, of course, make it nice and brown and crispy.  If
you're concerned about fat and cholesterol, a non-stick pan will enable you
to cut back some.  If you're concerned about calories, don't even try this!

Thanks, Philip and Marjorie.

Bubble And Squeak

1 pound cold cooked potatoes
2 ounces dripping or lard
1  onion; finely chopped
8 ounces cooked cabbage or Brussels sprouts; chopped
  salt and black pepper; to taste

Finely chop the potatoes and crush slightly. Melt half the fat in a frying
pan and lightly fry the onions. Mix in the potatoes and greens and season
well. Add more dripping or lard. Press the mixture into the hot fat and fry
over medium heat until browned underneath. Turn the mixture over (tossing it
if you're brave!!); add the last of the fat and fry until the other side is
browned.

The term 'squeak' comes from the sound it makes as it's cooking as you press
it down in the pan.
Try it and enjoy.
Contributor:  [email-masked] (Philip & Marjorie Thomas)
Yield: 4 servings

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.