Subject: Broccoli Ziti Bake
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Nov 1999 04:13:34 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Broccoli Ziti Bake

1/2 Head fresh broccoli
1 Medium onion, sliced
3-4 Ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
8 Ounces lowfat Mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 Tablespoons grated Romano cheese
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 Teaspoon thyme
1/2 Teaspoon dry basil
3/4 Teaspoon salt
3 Slices bacon, diced
4 Cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 Pound ziti pasta
Freshly ground black pepper

Cut the broccoli into 2 inch bite size pieces. Peel the stalk of the broccoli 
and cut it into 2 inch pieces. Place the broccoli in a steamer and steam for 10 
minutes. Do not over cook them. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. In a small 
bowl, add the crushed garlic and salt. Mash into a paste and set aside. In a 
small skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. 
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion, garlic, bacon, thyme, 
basil, mushrooms and black pepper. Saute until limp and all water has gone. In 
the meantime, bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add the ziti and stir.
Cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain and return the ziti to the pot. 
Add the egg and stir to blend. Stir in the broccoli and mushroom mixture. 
Transfer half the pasta to a 9x9 baking dish. Sprinkle the layer with half of 
the Mozzarella cheese and Romano cheese. Add the remaining half of pasta to the 
baking dish and sprinkle with the cheeses.  Bake covered in a preheated 350: F 
oven for 30 minutes.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.