Subject: Black Bean Soup (Vegetarian)
From: Sam Waring <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 19:06:24 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

On 28 Apr 96 Steve Dickman said this about that:

 SD> I'm looking for  a recipe for a spicy, vegetarian black bean soup.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

      Title: BLACK BEAN SOUP (Aztec or Yucateca Style)
 Categories: Soups, Mexican, Vegetarian
      Yield: 1 batch

      1 lb Black beans
     10 c  ;Water
      4 ts Salt; divided
      1    Bell pepper, green; cored
           -& halved
    2/3 c  oil
      1 lg Onion, yellow; peeled &
           -sliced
      4    Garlic clove; minced
      1    Chile serrano; seeded &
           -halved
    1/2 ts Pepper, black
  1 1/2 T  Mexican chocolate; crumbled
      1    Bay leaf
    1/8 ts Cumin, ground
      1 ts Sugar
  2 1/2 T  Wine vinegar, red
  2 1/2 T  Olive oil

  Rinse beans and soak overnight, along with 1 tsp salt and bell pepper.
  In a 6-quart stewpan, bring beans, soaking water, & pepper to a boil.
  Simmer till tender (really tender).  Heat peanut oil in  deep frying
  pan.  Saute onion, garlic and green hot pepper till soft. Remove 2 1/2
  cups bean broth from pot and add to frypan.  Simmer 10 minutes.  Strain
  onions, garlic & hot peppers from broth and discard them.  Remove bell
  pepper & discard.  Add seasoned broth to soup pot.  Add all other ingre-
  dients except vinegar and olive oil to soup pot and simmer 1 1/2 hours
  till thick.  If too thick, add water. Add vinegar and olive oil before
  serving.

MMMMM

* Sam Waring                    [email-masked] *
* Disclaimer: The Infomail Association doesn't necessarily agree with *
*             my opinions and neither do I.                           *
--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article which is
now available on line: http://www.duke.edu/~tfdpress/rfrpost.html.
Recipes/articles go to [email-masked]; requests go to [email-masked];
questions/comments go to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.