Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

----------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Mostly Harmless)
Subject: COLLECTION: Biscotti (Long)
Followup-To: poster
Reply-To: [email-masked] 
Organization: Space Telescope Science Institute
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1993 17:08:44 GMT

Basic Biscotti - Orange, Anise, and Lemon
Cantucci Hazelnut Biscotti
Biscotti di Vino (Red-Wine Biscuits) 
Pinoccate (Pine Nut Macaroons)
Quaresimali (Lenten Almond Biscuits)
Sesame-Seed cookies
Anise Slices
Biscotti di Prato
Tozzetti or Biscotti (Hazelnut cookies)
Orange Biscotti 
Biscotti di Prato
Almond-Orange Biscotti
Biscotti all'Anice
Biscotti Napoletani
Patrizio Biscotti
Biscotti
Biscotti di Regina (Queen's Biscuits)
Biscotti D'Amaretti
Biscotti
Biscotti
Biscotti

This is a long file.  I believe it must have originally come from
rec.food.recipes from about a year ago.

Janet Morrissey
"Mostly Harmless"

[email-masked]

**********************************************************
 
From: [email-masked] Organization: University of
Colorado, Boulder
 
Here are two recipes for biscotti that I have gotten from the net.  I
haven't tried either one, and I didn't keep the names of the original
posters.
 
Basic Biscotti - Orange, Anise, and Lemon*
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
 
Basic Ingredients for *any* of the recipes*
 
3/4 C whole and unblanched almonds 1/4 pound butter 3/4 C sugar 2 eggs
2 1/4 C flour 1 1/2 t baking powder 1/4 t salt
 
For Orange Biscotti
 
Zest from 1 orange, grated or minced 2 T orange liqueur, or 1 T orange
extract 1 1/2 t cinnamon
 
For Anise Biscotti
 
2 - 3 t crushed anise seeds
 
For Lemon Biscotti
 
Zest from 1 lemon, grated or minced 1 T lemon extract, or 1 T lemon
juice
 
Procedures for all recipes
 
Toast the almonds until golden, then chop by hand into 1/4 inch
chunks. *Reduce oven heat to *325* degrees* Cream the butter until
light, add the sugar and beat till smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs
until the mixture is smooth. Add the (orange, anise, lemon) specific
ingredients. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt, beat until
just mixed. Stir in the almonds. On a floured board, divide the dough
in half and roll each half into a long roll about 1 1/2 inches in
diameter and about 10 inches long.
 
Set the rolls on a baking sheet at least 3 inches apart, bake in the
top third of the oven (*325*) for about 25 minutes, or until they are
set and lightly browned on top. Cool the rolls for 5 minutes or so,
then slice diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices. Lay the slices flat
on the baking sheet and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
Turn the slices over and bake for another 10 minutes. Cool on a rack,
and keep in a tightly covered tin - they keep for months.
 
----------
 
Cantucci Hazelnut Biscotti
 
These biscotti are perfect for dipping in espresso and the sweet
Italian wine Vin Santo.  Since these cookies have no added shortening,
there is very little moisture.  These cookies are hard, so cruch
carefully.  Most important, enjoy!
 
4 cups all purpose flour 2 cups sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder 6 eggs
4 tablespoons Frangelico (Hazelnut liquor) 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract 2 cups roasted hazelnuts, coarsley chopped
 
I have substituted 2 cups roasted chopped almonds for the Hazelnuts
and the results have been fine.
 
Also, I've been thinking about substituting 4 tablespoons of anise
liquor for the Frangelico and tossing in a handful of anise seeds.
 
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
 
Mix dry ingredients (except the nuts) together in a bowl.  In a
seperate bowl mix the liquids.  Mix the liquids into the dry
ingredients until the dough is stiff.  Do not overmix.  Stir in the
nuts.
 
Shape the dough into 2 flattish logs 3 inches wide and approximately
15 inches long.  Place the logs on a buttered cookie sheet.
 
Bake for 20 minutes at 350.
 
Remove from the oven and let cool to the touch.
 
Using a bread knife, slice the log crosswise into 3/4 inch pieces.
Place the pieces back on the cookie sheet side down.
 
Bake again for 15 minutes until the cookies are a golden brown.
 
Store in a tight tin.  Cookies store well for weeks.
 
----------
 
From: Terri Huggett <[email-masked]> 
 
Here are a bunch of biscotti recipes (plus a few other misc.  Italian
cookies) saved from the net.
 
All of the following recipes came from an article on biscotti in the
November 1987 issue of Gourmet.
 
Biscotti di Vino (Red-Wine Biscuits) 

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup sugar 2 teaspoons salt 1 tablespoon 
double-acting baking powder 1 cup sunflower or vegetable oil 1 cup 
full-bodied red wine
 
In a large bowl combine well 4 cups of the flour, the sugar, the salt,
and the baking powder and make a well in the center.  Pour in the oil
and the wine, combine the mixture, incorporating the flour mixture
gradually, until it forms a soft dough, and knead in enough of the
remaining 1/2 cup flour to keep the dough from sticking.  Divide the
dough into 40 pieces, roll each piece into a 5-inch rope, and form the
ropes into rings, pinching the ends together firmly.  Bake the rings 2
inches apart on baking sheets the upper third of a preheated 350F oven
for 20 minutes.  Reduce the heat to 300F and bake the biscuits for 15
to 20 minutes m, or until they are golden.  Let the bis on racks and
store them in airtight containers.  Makes 40 biscotti.
 
----------
 
Pinoccate (Pine Nut Macaroons)
 
7 ounces packaged almond paste, grated coarse 3/4 cup sugar 2 large
egg whites at room temperature 1 teaspoon almond extract 1/4 cup pine
nuts
 
In a bowl beat together the almond paste and the sugar until the
mixture is combined wenother bowl beat thehites until they are very
frothy, beat in the almond paste mixture and the almond extract, and
beat6 the mixture for 2-3 minutes, or until it is combined well.  Drop
the dough by teaspoons 2 inches apart onto buttered and floured baking
sheets, press about 7 pine nuts into each macaroon, and bake the
macaroons in the upper third of a preheated 350F oven for 15-20
minutes, or until they are golden.  Let the macaroons cool on the
sheets for 5 minutes, transfer them to racks, and let them cool
completely.  Store the pine nut macaroons in airtight containers.
Makes about 36 biscotti.
 
----------
 
Quaresimali (Lenten Almond Biscuits)
 
1 pound natural (*unblanched) almonds 1 cup granulated sugar 2 cups
all-purpose flour 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar 1 teaspoon
cinnamon 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder 3 tablespoons unsalted
butter, softened 2 large eggs, beaten lightly an egg wash made by
beating together 1 large egg and 2 tablespoons milk
 
Toast the almonds in jelly-roll pan in a preheated 375F oven for 10
minutes and let them cool.  In a blender or food processor grind fine
one fourth of the almonds with 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar and
transfer the mixture to a large bowl.  Stir in the flour, the
remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, the cinnamon, and
the baking powder, add the butter, and stir the mixture until it is
combined.  Stir in the remaining almonds, chopped coarse, and the eggs
and knead the dough in the bowl until it is combined.  Halve the dough
and with floured hands form each half into a 15-by-4 inch rectangle.
Transfer the rectangles with spatulas to buttered and floured baking
sheets, brush them well with the egg wash, and bake them in the upper
third of a preheated 375F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they are
golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.  Cut the rectangles
crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices and let the slices stand in the
turned off oven for 15 minutes.  Transfer the slices to racks, let
them cool, and store them in airtight containers.  Makes about 36
biscotti.
 
----------
 
Sesame-Seed cookies
 
3 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup sugar 2 teaspoons double-acting
baking powder 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter,
cut into bits and softened 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, softened 2
large eggs, beaten lightly 1/4 cup milk 2 teaspoons vanilla 3/4 cup
sesame seeds
 
In a bowl combine the flour, the sugar, the baking powder, and the
salt and blen in the butter and the vegetable shortening until the
mixture resembles coarse meal.  Make a well in the center, add the
eggs, the milk, and the vanilla, and combine the mixture,
incorporating the liquid gradually, until it forms a soft dough.
Divide the dough into 36 pieces and form each piece into a 3-inch log.
Roll the logs in the sesame seeds and bake them 1 inch apart on
lightly buttered baking sheets in a preheated 375F oven for 20-25
minutes, or until they are golden brown.  Let the cookies cool on
racks and store them in airtight containers.  Makes 36 biscotti.
 
----------
 
Anise Slices
 
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened 3/4 cup sugar 3 large eggs
1 tablespoon anise extract 3 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons
double-acting baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons crushed
aniseed an egg wash made by beating together 1 large egg and 2
tablespoons milk
 
In a bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter, beat in the sugar,
a little at a time, and beat the mixture until it is light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, beat
the mixture until it is thick and pale, and beat in the anise extract.
In another bowl combine the flour, the baking powder, the salt, and
the aniseed and beat the mixture into the butter mixture to form a
sticky dough.  Halve the dough and with floured hands pat each half
into a 14-by-4 inch rectangle on a buttered baking sheet.  Brush the
rectangles well with the egg wash and bake them in the upper third of
a preheated 375F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden
brown and a skewer comes out clean.  Cut the rectangles crosswise
diagonally into 3/4 inch slices, turn the slices on their sides and
bake them in the 375F oven for 5 minutes.  Turn the slices and bake
them for 5 minutes more.  Let the slices cool on racks and store them
in airtight containers.  Makes about 34 biscotti.
 
----------
 
From: [email-masked] (Chris Lorenz)
 
                        Biscotti di Prato
                    from the Atlantic Monthly
 
This recipe makes about 4 dozen very crunchy biscotti.  I've never put
chocolate on the biscotti.
 
You need two 12x15 inch (approx.) cookie sheets.  Butter and flour ONE
of the cookie sheets.  The oven should be at 350 to roast the almonds,
and 300 to bake the biscotti.  Total baking time for the biscotti is
about 2 hours.  You also need to have handy and ready a surface for
kneading the biscotti dough and a surface for cutting the baked
biscotti.
 
Ingredients ------------ 1 cup (5 oz.) whole, unblanched almonds 2
cups unsifted, unbleached flour 1 cup sugar 1 t. baking soda pinch
salt 3 large eggs 1/2 t. vanilla

Roast the almonds in a 350 degree often until lightly browned (10-15
minutes).  Cool nuts completely.
 
Lower the oven temperature to 300.
 
In a medium bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar,
baking soda, salt) just to mix.  Separate out about 1/2 cup of this
mixture, and spread SOME of the reserved 1/2 cup onto your kneading
surface.
 
In a small bowl or measuring cup, lightly beat together the eggs and
vanilla.
 
Make a well in the flour mixture in the medium bowl and pour in the
egg/vanilla mixture.  Stir the flour into the egg mixture from the
outside of the well.  Continue combining until the mixture is too
stiff to stir.  Turn the mixture out onto your kneading surface, which
should already be floured with some of the reserved dry ingredients.
 
With floured hands (use some of the reserved dry ingredients for this
if you want), fold the dough over itself until it coheres.  Use the
rest of the reserved dry ingredients for your hands and the work
surface, if necessary.
 
Press the nuts into the dough and keep folding the dough over itself
until the nuts are evenly distributed.
 
Let the dough sit a few minutes so the flour absorbs the liquid
completely, making the dough less sticky.
 
Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces.
 
Roll each piece with your hands so that the pieces are elongated into
strips about 1" wide and 12"-14" long. ***
 
Place the strips on the buttered/floured baking sheet, leaving about
4" between each strip.  If you want somewhat wider strips, flatten the
strips with your hands to a width of 2".
 
Bake for about 50 minutes at 300.  Let the strips cool for 5 minutes,
and them remove them with a spatula to a cutting surface.
 
Using a sharp knife and making downward strokes, cut the strips into
diagonal bars about 1/2" wide.
 
Lay the cut biscotti on their sides on the two baking sheets.
 
Toast 35-50 minutes, depending on how dark (and crunchy?) you want
them.
 
*** To make much wider strips, divide the dough into two strips, same
    length (12"-14").  Each cookie will be about 6" long.  This should
    make about 2 dozen cookies.
 
----------
 
From: [email-masked] (Bob Kitzberger @sation)
 
Tozzetti or Biscotti (Hazelnut cookies)
 
2 	cups flour 1 1/3	cups sugar 2	large eggs
1	tablespoon grated lemon rind [I omitted this without a
problem] 1/4	cup anise-flavored liqueur such as Sambuca 1/4	cup
rum 1 1/2	cups peeled blanched hazelnuts (whole), or sliced
almonds 2	tablespoons baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
 
Lightly oil a large baking pan and dust with flour.  Shake off excess flour.
 
Combine the flour, sugar, eggs, lemon rind, liqueur and rum in a mixing
bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until thoroughly blended.
Beat in the hazelnuts (or almonds) and bakingg powder.
 
Using the hands, pick up half the dough [ick!] and shape it into a long 
sausage shape.  Arrange it on the prepared baking pan, off center and not 
too close to the edge of the pan.  Arrange the other half alongside but 
not too close.  Both masses will spread as they bake.
 
Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour.  Remove from the pan and let cool
for 20 minutes.
 
Carefully and gently run a spatula or pancake turner under the 2 pastries.
Let stand until almost at room temperature.  Using a serrated bread knife
cut each pastry into cross-wise slices, each about 1-inch think.  Arrange
these in one layer on a baking sheet and return to the oven to dry out,
about 10 minutes.  Let cool and store.  These cookies are improved if a
little anisette or other anise-flaovred liqueur is poured or brushed over
them in advance of serving.
 
----------
 
From: [email-masked] (Carole A. Resnick)
 
Title: Orange Biscotti 
 
2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  1/2 cup cold water
    5 Tablespoons sugar
    1 extra large egg yolk
    2 Tablespoons grated orange peel
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 Tablespoon light rum
    3 drops orange extract
        Pinch salt
 
Butter for baking sheets 1 extra-large egg, beaten to blend 2
Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
 
Arrange flour in mound on work surface and make a well.  Add 1/4 cup
melted butter, water, 2 tablespoons sugar, yolk, orange peel, oil,
rum, orange extract and salt into well.  Gradually draw all but 1/4
cup flour from inner edge of well to center.  Gather dough together
and knead in remaining flour until smooth, about 1 minute.  Wrap in
floured towel.  Refrigerate for 2 hours.
 
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325~F.  Lightly butter
2 baking sheets.  Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to a
thickness of 1/4 inch.  Cut dough into 2 x 4 inch strips using
scalloped pastry wheel.  Place cookies on prepared sheets, spacing 1/2
inch apart.  Pierce each cookie several times with tines of fork.
Brush with egg glaze.  Bake until light brown, about 25 minutes.
 
Brush remaining 2 Tablespoons melted butter over hot cookies.
Sprinkle with remaining 3 Tablespoons sugar.  Return to oven for 5
minutes.  Cool completely on rack.
 
Store in airtight container.
 
Yeild about 28 cookies.
 
----------
 
From: [email-masked] ((thomasl))
 
here it is, the actual authentic biscotti as given to me by my friend
ann her husbands family is italian and they eat very well these are
crispy and brittle and the recipe makes a lot but i not enough!

Biscotti di Prato*
 
6 oz blanched whole almonds (i skip the blanching, tho') 2 1/2 C.
flour 2 C. sugar 1/4 t. salt 1/4 t. baking soda 3 eggs
 
preheat oven to 350 spread almonds on baking sheet and toast until
lightly golden coarsely chop 1/2 of the almonds, leaving the others
whole butter 2 large baking sheets
 
mix flour, sugar, salt and baking soda together beat in the eggs, and
then the almonds, to obtain a firm dough knead the dough briefly, then
divide it into 4 pieces roll each piece into a cylinder 15" long and
1.5" in diameter place 2 rolls (well-separated!) on each sheet and
bake for 15-20 min.  (until lightly browned)
 
Carefully transfer the rolls to a cutting board and slice each
diagonally into .5" thick slices (you will recognize the
charactaristic biscotti look) set wire racks on baking sheets and lay
the biscotti on them bake 20-30 min.  makes 6 dozen which keep
indefinately in aa wire tin excellent dipped in coffee, tea or dessert
wine.
 
----------
 
From: [email-masked] (Carole A. Resnick) Subject:
 
Title: Almond-Orange Biscotti
 
2 1/4 cups flour 
1 1/4 cups sugar
pinch salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tabl.  oil
1/4 tsp.  almond extract
finely grated zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup chopped almonds
2 tsp.  baking powder
 
Preheat oven to 350 F.
 
Grease and flour cookie sheet.
 
In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar. baking powder and salt.  Make
a well in the center of the mixture; add the remaining ingredients and
mix well.  Divide the dough in halt.  Shape each half into
fla-bottomed cylinders (1-inch high x 2 1/2-inches wide x 8-inches
long). bake 30-35 minutes or until brown on top.  Remove from oven and
cool slightly.  Cut into 3/4-inch slices.  Return to oven with cut
side down for 15 minutes or until slices are brown.  Remove from oven
and cool on racks.
 
----------
 
From: "Dave Record, Manager, MSD Computing Services"
      <[email-masked]>
 
BISCOTTI ALL'ANICE
 
Makes 48 Cookies
 
These are the crispy type of biscotti.
 
3 eggs
2 t anise extract
3/4 C sugar
Pinch salt
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C cornstarch
1/2 t baking powder     
 
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F. Combine the eggs, extract, sugar and salt in a
mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer and whip with a hand mixer set
at high speed or in a heavy duty mixer fitted with the whip. Continue
whipping until the mixture is very light and increased in volume, 6-7
minutes. While the egg mixture is whipping, combine the flour,
cornstarch and baking powder and stir to mix. Remove the whipped eggs from
the mixer and sift over the flour mixture in three additions, folding it
in after each addition with a rubber spatula. The batter will lose most of
its air and become rather stiff. Pipe the batter, using a pastry bag with a
3/4-inch opening, but no tube, onto a jelly roll pan lined with parchment
paper or buttered wax paper. Pipe two logs about 1 1/2 inches wide and the
length of the pan. Bake the logs about 20 minutes, until they are well risen
and golden. Remove from  oven and place logs on a cutting board to cool
about 10 minutes. Using a sharp, serrated knife, slice the logs
diagonally at 1/2-inch intervals. Place the biscotti cut side down on
the pan and return them to the oven for about 10-15 minutes, until they
color lightly on the cut surfaces.  Cool the biscotti on the pans and
store them in a tin between layers of wax paper.  
 
----------
 
Biscotti Napoletani
NICK MALGIERI
 
Makes 60 Biscotti
 
Be careful with the first baking of these biscotti. Even though they are
baked a second time after being cut, if they do not bake sufficiently the
first time, the biscotti will have a hard, heavy core.
 
2 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C whole, unblanched almonds,      
  finely ground
1/2 t bicarbonate of ammonia or 1/2 t 
  each, baking powder and baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
3/4 C whole, unblanched almonds
1/3 C honey
1/3 C water                           

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F. Combine all ingredients except honey and water in
a mixing bowl and stir a minute or 2 to mix. Add the honey and water and
stir until a firm dough forms. Remove dough from bowl and divide in half.
Roll each half into a log about 15 inches long. Place both logs, well
apart, on a jelly roll pan lined with parchment or buttered wax paper. Bake
about 30 minutes, until well risen, firm and a dark golden color. Remove
from oven, cool logs slightly and place on a cutting board. Slice the
logs diagonally at 1/2-inch intervals.  Return the cut biscotti to the pan,
cut side down, and bake an additional 15 minutes, until lightly colored and
dry. Cool on the pan. Store in a tin--they keep well. 
 
----------
 
From: John Spence <[email-masked]>
 
This comes from the Dallas Morning News' "Dallas Life Magazine". The
Highland Park restaurant Patrizio contributes this recipe for
biscotti.
 
Patrizio Biscotti

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 t. vinilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
 
Combine butter, sugar and eggs, mixing well. Beat in vanilla.
 
Combine flowr, baking powder, baking soda and chopped nuts. Add to the
egg mixture. The batter will be very stiff and sticky. Cover the dough
with plastic wrap and refigerate for 1 hour or over night.
 
With flored hands, divide the dough into two portions and shape each
into a loaf about 12 inched long.
 
Grease a 10 by 14 baking sheet. Place both loaves on the sheet, leaving
at least 3 inches between them. Flatten each loaf slightly, as evenly as
possible.
 
Place in preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 20 min. or until firm to
the touch.
 
Remove can cool on wire rack slightly. Lower oven to 375.
 
While still warm, slice the loaves into diagonal slices about 1/3 inch
thick.
Arrange on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 375 fro 15 mintues - do
not brown.
 
Var.
    Chocolate: basic recipe, adding 1 cup of cocoa powder and 1 1/2 cups
    chocolate chips.
 
    Banana: basic recipe, adding 1/4 cup banana flavoring (not extract)
    and use walnuts or pecans
 
    Cinnamon: basic recipe, adding 1/4 cup ground cinnamon. For the
    nuts, use almonds or pecans.
 
----------
 
From: [email-masked] (Stanley J Sylvester)
Organization: Tektronix, Inc., Beaverton,  OR.
 
This is the recipe for my mother's type of biscotti:
 
Biscotti
 
3 1/2 C flour
1 C sugar
1/2 C softened butter
2 t baking powder
1/2 t grated lemon rind
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
 
Blend everything in large bowl and mix.  Roll out on floured board
and cut with a four inch water glass.  Make 12 circles.  Line greased
cupcake pan with the 12 circles.  Fill each cup with pastry cream (below).
Top each with another circle cut with a 3 inch glass--make sure the cake is
sealed.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 375...  Let cool completely in pan.

This is my mom's cream-puff cream.  It's just a sweet, vanilla
cornstarch pudding.  I'm giving you the microwave recipe, because
otherwise it takes an eternity of stirring on the stove, after which
your arm will fall off.  If you choose to cook it that way, make sure
you keep the heat low while you're waiting for the stuff to thicken, and
never ever stop stirring, or the cream will stick to the bottom and burn
and then you will have a million nasty little brownish-black flecks
throughout your pudding, which will do absolutely nothing for the
texture.

VANILLA CREAM
 
In microwave bowl, mix:
 
2/3 C sugar
3 T cornstarch
1/4 t salt
 
add a fraction of  2 C milk, a little at first to make a smooth paste,
then the rest until the mixture is smooth.  Microwave this at high for
8-9 minutes, stirring every 2 min until the stuff is smooth and
thickened.
 
Meanwhile, put 3 egg yolks (or two whole eggs) into another bowl and
beat them slightly.  Quickly stir half of the hot milk mixture into
eggs, and then add the new egg mixture to the origianl milk mixture. 
Microwave at high 1 to 2 min until mixture is thick and glossy.
Add 1 T butter 
1 t vanilla extract
(And, optionally, for extra flavor) 
1 t almond extract
 
Let cream cool before adding to cupcakes or creampuffs...  If you're
eating it by itself, it's great while it's still warm.  
 
kathy
 
----------
 
From: [email-masked] (Carole A. Resnick)
 
Title: Biscotti di Regina (Queen's Biscuits)
 
        4       cups    sifted flour
        1       cup     sugar
        1       Tbl     baking powder
        1/4     tsp     salt
        1       cup     shortening
        2               eggs, slightly beaten
        1/2     cup     milk
        1/4     pound   sesame seeds (about 2/3 to 3/4 cup)
 
        Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.  Heat the oven to 375F.
 
        Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a
bowl.  Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives, until
the pieces are the size of small peas.  Stir in the eggs and the milk (1
tablespoon at a time) to make a soft dough.  Mix together thoroughly.
Break the dough into small pieces and roll each between the palms of your
hands to form rolls about 1 1/2 inches in length.  Flatten the rolls
slightly and roll them in the sesame seeds.  Place about 3/4 inch apart
on the prepared cookie sheets.
 
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until thee cookies are lightly browned.
 
Makes about 6 dozen cookies.
 
----------
 
        [ Shoprite Super Markets Italian Cookbook ]
 
Posted by Fred Peters.
 
Biscotti D'Amaretti
 
  3 1/4 c  flour, all-purpose
  2 1/2 ts baking powder
    1/2 c  butter or margerine, softened
      1 c  sugar
      3 ea eggs
      2 ts lemon peel, finely shredded
    1/4 ts almond extract
      1 ea pinch saffron, if desired
    1/2 c  almonds,finely chopped,toasted
      1 ea egg white
 
    Combine flour and baking powder.  In large mixer bowl beat butter and
  sugar until blended.  Beat in eggs, lemon peel, almond extract and
  saffron.  Beat in flour mixture until well blended.  Stir in almonds.
 
    Divide dough in half.  Shape each portion into a 12x2x1-inch loaf.
  Place 6 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Beat the egg
  white until foamy.  Brush over tops of loaves.  Bake in 375F oven 20 to
  25 minutes or until light brown.  Cool on cookie sheet about 1 hour.  Cut
  each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices.  Lay slices, cut side
  down, on cookie sheet.  Bake in a 325F oven 10 minutes longer or until
  dry and crisp.  Cool on wire rack.  These cookies are good made several
  days ahead and stored in a paper bag to soften slightly.  To store
  longer, place in a covered container.  Makes about 36 cookies.

----------
 
From: Barry Hayes <[email-masked]>
From: [email-masked] (Nicole Vecchi)
 
Biscotti*
 
1 cup sugar 1/4 cup vegetable oil 3 cups sifted flour 2 tsps.
baking powder 2 tsps. (anise) extract (substitute vanilla) 
 
cream sugar, eggs and oil.  Slowly, add 1/2 of the flour, baking
powder and extract.  Add remaining half of flour, kneading until dough
is medium soft.
 
Roll into 4 small "buns."  Place onto greased cookie sheets (2 buns on
each), and flatten to about 1/2 inch.  Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
 
Remove and cut 1/2 inch angled slices--while still hot!  put pieces
back on cookie sheet and "toast" on 1 side at 425 degrees for 3
minutes.

---------- 
 
From: [email-masked] (Felix Yen) 
 
Biscotti

The result depends heavily on your mixing technique and on the flour
you use.  If your first batch resembles a sack of small bricks, try
(try) again.
 
        	1 cup unblanched almonds
                1-3/4 cups white flour, unsifted
                1/2 cup whole wheat flour
                1/2 cup turbinado sugar
                1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
                3 large eggs
                1/2 tsp. vanilla
 
Roast almonds in a 350F oven for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
Cool to room temperature.  Mix together dry ingredients in a large
bowl reserving about 1 cup.  Lightly beat eggs and vanilla and add.
Work mixture until dough coheres adding reserved dry ingredients if
necessary.  Add nuts and knead until they are evenly distributed.
Divide into thirds and rest for a few minutes.  Then shape into slabs
about 1" wide and 12-14" long.  Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet
and bake at 300F for 50 minutes.  Cool on a rack for 5 minutes then
cut diagonal bars 1/2" thick.  Lay the cookies on their sides and
return to the oven for 50 minutes.  Store in a paper bag for 5-6 days
before serving.  Yield: about 4 dozen.
 
----------
 
From: [email-masked] (Crossly the Glad-Eyed Bear) 
 
    ***** Biscotti *****
 
       1 1/2 cup sugar
       1 Tbsp almond paste
       1/2 tsp salt
       4 ea eggs, large
       2 cup flour
       1/2 tsp baking powder
       2 tsp almond extract
       2 Tbsp pine nuts
       2 Tbsp confectioners' sugar
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place a mixing bowl over hot but not
boiling water, or use a big double boiler.  Put the sugar, almond
paste, salt, and eggs into the bowl, and beat for 5 minutes, or until
the mixture is lukewarm and looks like pancake batter.  Make sure that
the almond paste is well beaten also.  Take the bowl off the hot water
and continue beating for another 5 minutes, or until the batter is
cool and looks almost like frosting.  Sift the flour with the baking
powder and fold it gently into the batter.  Add the almond extract and
fold again.  Using a teaspoon, drop cookies 1 1/2 inches apart on
buttered and floured cookie sheets, decorate with pine nuts, and
sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.  Let stand about 5 minutes, and
then bake for 15 minutes (at 350 degrees), or until toasty and crisp
on the outside.