Subject: Purple Pickled Eggs
From: Anna Pope <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Apr 1999 06:41:07 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

> >From: "Joanne" <[email-masked]>
> >Anyone have a pickled eggs recipe that does not call for sugar?  My hubby
> >says that he remember they were red (beet juice probably) and they were
> >definitely not sweet when he was young.  Thanks for the help!

This is my Grandma Piatkowski's purple egg recipe - they do have a little
sugar in them, which you could probably leave out. However - they do not
taste sweet if you follow the recipe, I can vouch for that! This is a
traditional Polish Easter treat. Enjoy!

Purple Eggs (Pickled Eggs & Beets)

12-18 large eggs

2 cans (about 14oz each) small whole beets
1 cups. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp horseradish
12 or so cloves

Hard-cook the eggs: Place in a pan large enough so that they don't overlap,
and fill pan with water to 1" over eggs. Over med-high heat bring just to a
rolling boil. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and let sit for 12 minutes.
Rinse briefly with cold water. Shell eggs while still hot under running
cold water.
Drain the beets, reserving the juice, and place beets into a large
Tupperware container. As the eggs are shelled, add them in and mix beets
and eggs together gently.
Add enough water to the beet juice to make 2 cups. Bring just to a boil and
add the cider, sugar, salt and cloves. Return just to the boil. (DO NOT
OVERBOIL! You'll lose the beautiful color!) Pour over eggs and beets.
Refrigerate, shaking gently twice a day or so to rotate the eggs. In three
days the whites should be completely dyed. The eggs are best served cut
into quarters to show off the colors. After about a week the yolk will be
purple also - not as pretty but still delicious. They keep for quite a
while, if you don't devour them fast - it's never been an issue in my
house!

Note: She used Mason jars, but I've found that Tupperware works perfectly
well and miraculously doesn't stain. I can't vouch for similar
products, but they may be just as good.

Further note: I hate beets in all their incarnations, but I love these
eggs. If you feel the same way, *make the pickled beets anyway* and
give/throw them away after the eggs are gone. The eggs turn out much, much
better that way.

Anna Piatkowski Pope

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.