Subject: COLLECTION(2) Beef and Guinness
From: Sam Waring <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 21:13:13 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

MO> In Richter's in New Haven, they sometimes serve a beef stew called
 MO> Guinness Stew, whose recipe includes Guinness Stout, and it's very
 MO> good.  I mentioned this in the Food room of Prism bbs and someone
 MO> asked if I could get the recipe.

     I thought I had that one, but it seems to have crawled off into a dark
corner at the moment.  However, I did find the following two that involve beef
and Guinness, and which you might like as well.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

      Title: IRISH BEEF IN GUINNESS
 Categories: Beef, Irish
      Yield: 6 servings

    2/3 lb Beef, cubed
    1/2 c  Flour, seasoned
           Oil; for frying
      2    Onion; sliced
      4    Garlic clove; minced
      3    Carrot; sliced
      1 ts Parsley; minced
    1/2 ts Thyme
           Salt; to taste
           Pepper; to taste
           Beef broth
     24 oz Guinness

  Dip beef in flour and coat on all sides. Brown in oil, in batches and
  remove to heat proof pot or casserole. Saute onions and garlic in
  same oil and add to beef. Add carrots, parsley and thyme. Season with
  salt and pepper. Pour enough beef broth to cover and bring to a boil.
  Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Lift meat, onions and carrots from
  pot to serving plate with slotted spoon. Over high heat, reduce sauce
  to half the original volume. Pour sauce over meat and serve.

                         per Sallie Krebs
                         Fidonet COOKING echo

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

      Title: STEAK & GUINNESS PIE
 Categories: Irish, Beef, Pies
      Yield: 4 servings

  2 1/4 lb Round steak
      1 T  Flour
      1 ts Brown sugar
      1 T  Raisins; (opt)
      5    Onions
     10 fl Guinness
      8 sl Bacon
      3 oz Lard
           Parsley; chopped
      1    Recipe of short pastry*

  *For double-crust pie in deep pie dish.  -- Cut the steak into bite
  sized cubes, roll in seasoned flour, and brown in the lard with the
  bacon, chopped small.

  Place the meat in a casserole, peel and chop the onions, and fry until
  golden before adding them to the meat.  Add the raisins (if wanted)
  and brown sugar, pour in the Guinness, cover tightly and simmer over
  a low heat or in a very moderate oven (325-350F) for 2 1/2 hours.
  Stir occa- sionally, and add a little more Guinness or water if the
  rich brown gravy gets too thick.  Meanwhile, line a deep pie dish
  with half the pie crust: bake it blind:  then add the Guinness/beef
  mixture from the casserole, cover with the top layer of pie crust,
  and bake until finished, probably about 10 more minutes.  Variation:
  for the brown sugar, substitute 3 T honey.

                                      per Diane Duane
                                      Co. Wicklow, Ireland
                                      Fidonet COOKING echo
MMMMM

* Sam Waring                    [email-masked] *
* Disclaimer: The Infomail Association doesn't necessarily agree with *
*             my opinions and neither do I.                           *
--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article which is
now available on line: http://www.duke.edu/~tfdpress/rfrpost.html.
Recipes/articles go to [email-masked]; requests go to [email-masked];
questions/comments go to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.