Subject: Beans & Barley
From: [email-masked] (Lennis M McCreary)
Date: 4 Nov 1996 07:41:11 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 cup white beans, uncooked
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 cup split peas, dried
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 cup pinto beans, uncooked
4 cups vegetable bouillon or broth
2 tablespoons parsely, minced
1/4 cup lentils, dried

Soak white beans and pinto beans overnight.  Saute onion, mushrooms,
and carrots in 1 tablespoon of vegetable broth until tender.  Add to
sauteed vegetables drained beans, vegetable bouillon, mustard and
parsley.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
Add split peas. lentils and barley.  Cover and simmer another hour
until all the beans are tender.  Or, combine all ingredients in a big
slow cooker on low for 12-14 hours.

Serves 4

Calories:  174    Fat:   0.8 gm    4% fat

~~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article which
is now available on line: http://www.duke.edu/~tfdpress/rfrpost.html.
Recipes/articles go to [email-masked]; requests go to [email-masked]; 
questions/comments go to [email-masked]. Please allow several
days for your submission to appear.