Subject: Barley Pilaf with Peas
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Mar 2000 13:05:44 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Barley Pilaf with Peas

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 cups water
2/3 cup medium Quaker Barley**
1 tbs, soy sauce (optional)
1 pkg, (10 oz.) frozen peas

In medium saucepan, cook onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add
chicken broth, water, barley and soy sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to
low; cover. Simmer 35 minutes; add peas. Continue simmering 10 to 15 minutes
or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.

Makes 8 servings.
** To use Quick Quaker Barley, substitute 1 cup quick barley for medium
barley and decrease water to 1 cup. Cook onion and garlic as directed above.
Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover.
Simmer 15 to 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.