Subject: Barley Mushroom Soup with Polish Dumplings
From: Beth Wettergreen <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Dec 1999 04:37:12 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Barley Mushroom Soup with Polish
Dumplings

This is a very warming, healthy soup for cold winter
evenings.

Soup
3/4 cup pearl barley
6 cups water
6 bouillon cubes (beef or vegetable)
1 cube (1/2 cup) margarine (safflower or canola)
3 stalks celery, sliced thin
1 large white onion, chopped fine
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 tsp. Caraway seed
2 Tbsp. Chopped fresh dill
Sour cream and fresh dill for garnish

Bring barley, water and bouillon cubes to boil in a soup pot. Let simmer
on low while you prepare the vegetables. Thinly slice onion, mushrooms and
celery. Chop carrot coarsely. Mince fresh dill. In a large heavy skillet,
melt the margarine, add the vegetables and saute over medium heat for 5-7
minutes until onions and mushrooms have softened.  Add the vegetables to
the barley and water, stir, cover and allow to simmer on low heat until
the barley is very soft, about 50 minutes. Stir a few times to prevent
sticking. If the soup seems too thick, add water. Taste soup and add salt
if necessary.  Prepare dumplings (below). Add to simmering soup, cover,
and steam for 5-7 minutes until dumplings puff up and are cooked through
in the middle. To serve, spoon one cup of soup into soup bowl.  Float one
or two dumplings on top of soup. Put a tablespoon of sour cream against
each dumpling, and sprinkle fresh dill over sour cream.

Polish Dumplings

2 cups enriched white flour
1 Tbsp. Baking powder
1- 1/2 tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp. Margarine (safflower, canola) or butter
1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese (not low-fat)
1/2 tsp. Dill seed (optional)

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. With a fork or two knives,
cut margarine or butter in to flour mixture. Stir in cottage cheese and
the (optional) dill seed. Mixture should be the consistency of biscuit
dough. If it is too dry, stir in one Tbsp. Water. Drop the dumpling dough
by tablespoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and steam 5-7 minutes until
dumplings puff up and are cooked through in the middle.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.