Subject: Bagna Cauda
From: Pat Kight <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Feb 1997 09:58:31 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Bagno Caoda

1 head garlic, peeled and cloves separated
1 tin anchovies
1 cup high-quality olive oil
1 cup (1/2 pound) unsalted butter

Chop garlic finely. Place garlic and anchovies in a small, heavy saucepan
with olive oil. Heat gradually until it simmers, then continue simmering
over a low heat until the garlic and anchovies disintegrate (can take up
to an hour).  Remove from heat and stir in butter, cut in small chunks,
until it dissolves. Makes about two cups. 

Serve as a warm dip for raw vegetables or steamed artichokes, with 
good italian bread to catch the drips (then eat the bread!). Leftovers 
can be refrigerated and reheated. Bagno caoda can also be brushed on 
bread for exquisite garlic toast.

Note: The long, slow heating caramelizes the garlic and anchovies into a 
sweet, salty paste. People who hate anchovies will never guess they are 
among the ingredients!

Pat Kight
[email-masked]

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.