Subject: Baba Ghannouj
From: "R. Burke and D. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:50:13 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Baba Ghannouj
Eggplant and Sesame Puree
from The Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos

1 medium-sized eggplant, about 12 oz
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp salt or to taste
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley

Grill eggplant over a charcoal fire for 30-40 minutes, turning frequently. 
Alternatively char the skin under a broiler and cook until soft, turning
often.  Peel off skin while hot and remove stem and end of eggplant if
firm.  Chop flesh and pound in a mortar with pestle to a puree or place in
a blender or food processor and puree.  Blend in most of the lemon juice
and gradually add the tahini.  Crush garlic to a paste with 1 tsp salt and
add to eggplant.  Beat well and adjust flavor with more lemon juice and
salt. 

Beat in olive oil and parsley.  If using an appliance put about 4 parsley
springs into container and process until parsley is chopped but still
visible.  Place in a shallow dish, garnish with parsley and a dab of olive
oil. Serves 4-6. 

--
rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup; only recipes are accepted for 
posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" file first.  Articles go to 
[email-masked]; administrative questions to [email-masked].  
Please allow two to five days for your submission to appear.