Subject: Awesome Meatloaf
From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Apr 1997 08:06:26 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

When was the last time you had a really good slice of meatloaf?  Meatloaf
has recently gotten a bad name because it's easy to make a bad one, but
it's easy to make a great one, too!  My meatloaf is tender and flavorful,
with a savory tomato sauce crust.  Try serving leftover slices on toasted
Italian bread for an incredible lunch. 

All amounts are apporoximate.  Use your own judgement when in doubt.

Awesome Meatloaf

2 1/2 lbs. super-lean ground beef
2 medium yellow onions, grated (will be very juicy)
2/3 cup of your favorite tomato sauce plus more for topping (I like 
Five Brothers)
1 packet Lipton onion-mushroom soup mix
3-4 large cloves garlic, grated (or finely minced)
2 eggs, beaten until mixed
2/3 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. freshly grated pepper

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grate onions (not too finely) into a large bowl. 
Add tomato sauce, soup mix, grated garlic, oregano, pepper, and beaten
eggs.  Mix together. Add ground beef and bread crumbs to mixture.  Using
your hands in a kneading motion, mix together, scooping up from the bottom
and then pressing down on top, until just blended.  Overmixing will result
in a tough meatloaf. Spray a wide casserole dish with non-stick spray. 
Form the meat mixture into a lump.  Place onto baking dish and form with
hands into a nice loaf. Pour tomato sauce on top until the loaf is well
coated.  (Don't drown the poor meatloaf, and try to get most of the sauce
on the loaf and not around it.) Put baking dish in the middle of the oven
and bake, at least 40 minutes, checking for doneness afterwards. 

let it cool a bit before slicing.  

Optional - if you want to get fancy, saute some green peppers, mushrooms,
and onions until firm-tender and then mix them into your raw meatloaf
mixture before baking.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.