Subject: COLLECTION (2) Pasta Sauces
From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Mar 1997 16:23:07 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

ASPARAGUS  SAUCE
SCALLOP AND MUSHROOM SAUCE

<< From: [email-masked] (ARTHURS)
I am looking for some good pasta recipes using something other than tomato
sauce.  I enjoy cooking with different vegetables and chicken or seafood.
Please respond via email as well as posting here.  Sincere thanks. >>

Hope this is of help.

Lei Gui
Bronx,NY

ASPARAGUS  SAUCE
source: Biba's Italina Kitchen

3/4 pound asparagus tips, approximately 4 pounds asparagus
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken broth or clear vegetable broth
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
salt to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
8 oz cooked pasta

Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. add the asparagus tips
and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, 1-2 minutes, depending
on size. Drain Asparagus tips and reserve about one third. Combine the
remaining asparagus tips with the cream and the broth and puree in a food
processor to a smooth consistency.  Heat the butter in a large skillet.
Add the pureed Asparagus and reserved asparagus tips. Season with salt.
Simmer the sauce over very low heat for a few minutes or till sauce has a
medium-thick ,creamy consistency, Keep sauce warm over very low heat while
you cook the pasta.  When pasta is cooked, drain and add to sauce in
skillet. Add Parmigiano and mix over low heat to combine. Serve
immediately with some more Parmigiano if desired. 

SCALLOP AND MUSHROOM SAUCE
source: Biba's Italian kitchen
1 oz porcini mushrooms, soaked in 2 cups lukewarm water for 20 minutes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 pound sea scallops, the smallest you can find or cut in half horizontally
1 garlic glove, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt to taste
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley or regular parsley
8 oz cooked pasta

Strain the porcini mushrooms and reserve the soaking water. Rinse the
mushrooms well under cold running water and chop them roughly. Line a
strainer with two paper towels and strain the mushroom water into a bowl
to get rid of the sandy deposits. Set aside.  Heat the butter and the oil
in a large skillet over medium heat. when the butter begins to foam. add
the scallops and saute until they are lightly golden, about 2 minutes. add
the garlic and the porcini mushrooms and stir for about 1 minute. add 1/2
cup of the reserved mushroom water, the wine and the cream, and season
with salt. cook stirring until the liquid is reduced by half and has a
medium thick consistency, 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat off under the
skillet. 

Drain the pasta and place it in the skillet with the sauce. stir in the
parsley and toss everything quickly over low heat until the pasta and
sauce are well combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve. 

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.