Subject: Anything Curry with Mango Chutney
From: "amanda" <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 May 1997 05:53:43 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

This dish is great with fresh mango chutney.

  ANYTHING CURRY

 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter (or vegetable. oil)
 1 cup chopped onion
 1 tsp. minced garlic
 1/2 cup finely minced celery, optional
 1 cup tart apple, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
 1/4 cup flour
 1 to 2 Tbsp. curry powder
 3/4 tsp. dry mustard
 1 bay leaf
 2 1/2 cups unsalted broth
 3 cups cooked chicken or any other meat ( or possibly cubed tofu), cut
into bite-sized pieces
 1/2 cup milk or cream
 3 Tbsp. finely chopped unsalted chutney

Melt butter in saucepan and add onion, garlic, celery, and apple. Cook,
stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Blend flour, curry powder and mustard
and sprinkle over vegetables, stirring. Add bay leaf. Add broth, stirring
rapidly with wire whisk. When mixture has thickened, let it simmer for 15
minutes. Stir often from the bottom to prevent sticking. Add meat, milk
and chutney and simmer for 4 or 5 minutes longer. Serve with rice,
additional chutney on the side, peanuts or other kinds of nuts, and any
number of Indian relishes and raitas. 

Yield: about 6 servings
From Craig Claiborne's Gourmet Diet

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.