Subject: Aioli: Garlic Mayonnaise
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jul 1997 06:37:50 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked]

Aioli: Garlic Mayonnaise
This is typical of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands (both in Spain).
It is usually served with bread as an appetizer.  It can also be used to
accompany grilled fish and meats.

1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 egg, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups fruity olive oil
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

In a blender or a food processor, puree garlic with egg.  Mix oil with
lemon juice in a pouring jar.  With motor running, add oil mixture
slowly in a thin stream.  Add salt and pepper and whirl an additional 10
seconds.  Taste for seasoning.  Transfer to a bowl, cover, and
refrigerate.

If the mixture separates or does not thicken, correct it as follows:
Pour all but 1 tablespoon of separated mayonnaise into another
container.  Add 1 tablespoon water to remaining tablespoon of mayonnaise
in food processor.  With motor running, add separated mayonnaise slowly;
mixture should regain right consistency - if not, try again.

It is best to prepare this the day before, to allow flavors to mingle
and mellow out.

The recipe is adapted from "The Catalan Country Kitchen" by Marimar
Torres.

--
Cesar C. Palerm
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.rpi.edu/~romanc/

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.