Subject: Aegean chicken
From: [email-masked] (Idlewild)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:38:18 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

> From: [email-masked] (Lucie)
> I'm interested in recipes for chickes and veal in general.  I'm tired
> of eating the same old ones. Thank you for your time!

Here is a recipe for agean chicken that has been good to me in the past. 

Aegean Chicken

Recipe By:      Sandy Miller

4       whole   chicken breasts skinless, boneless,
                halved (4 to 5) 
9       oz.     marinated artichoke hearts      reserve liquid
1/4     cup     olive oil       
                Flour to dredge chicken 
1/2     lb.     mushrooms       quartered
2       tbl.    butter  (2 to 3)
22      oz.     canned Italian tomatoes with liquid
3       cloves  garlic  minced
1       tsp.    salt    
3/4     tsp.    black pepper    
3/4     tsp.    oregano 
1       tsp.    basil   
1/2     cup     pitted black olives     
3/4     cup     straight sherry 

Bring chicken breasts to room temperature.  Cut each half-breast into 3 or
4 pieces.  Drain artichoke hearts, reserving liquid.  Combine half of this
liquid in a saute pan with 2 tbl. of the olive oil.  Dredge chicken in a
little flour.  Saute chicken in hot oil mixture in 3 or 4 batches, adding
more of the reserved artichoke liquid as necessary.  Remove chicken from
pan and saute mushrooms, adding butter as needed.  Reserve mushrooms in a
large bowl.  Pour the tomatoes and their liquid, the garlic, and the
seasonings into a saute pan, and simmer about 10 mins. Add chicken,
olives, reserved artichoke hearts and sherry.  Cook another 10 mins, then
add mushrooms.  Cool mixture and refrigerate or freeze up to one month. 
On serving day, bring chicken back to room temperature. Bake in preheated
350 degree oven until hot and bubbly.  Serve over brown rice. 

NOTE: I add some feta cheese crumbled over it. Also, it was great with
some orzo pasta.

-j.

--
rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup; only recipes are accepted for 
posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" file first.  Articles go to 
[email-masked]; administrative questions to [email-masked].  
Please allow two to five days for your submission to appear.