The Salsa Performance Team meets 4 times a week to practice and really learn to salsa. The team provides a much more in-depth critique of technique than the beginner and intermediate lessons, and learns more patterns. They also perform at various UVM shows (like the Orchesis Showcase in the Spring). If you are looking for opportunities to salsa more than twice a week, we strongly encourage you to try out for the team!
- Members of the Advanced Salsa Team are expected to attend all lessons listed below, except for those specifically stated as optional. Students that fail to attend these lessons, without notifying a fellow team member, the Vice President of Salsa, or the Salsa Chair, will be required to meet with the board. Failure to attend repeated lessons after the meeting may result in a loss of position on the Advanced Salsa Team.
- This semester, choreography and performance will not be the main focus of the Advanced Salsa Team. Members of the team are still welcome to perform and all opportunities for performing on campus will be presented to the team. Instead, we will be focusing more on technique.
- Practice will be held in the Dance Studio on Saturdays from 11:45am-2pm.
- Beginner Social Lessons on Tuesday nights are a mandatory practice. At beginner social practices, team members should only dance with other team members at the very end of the lesson; during, they should make an effort to dance with non-team members. It is strongly encouraged that team followers dance as leaders during beginner social practices. Please do not "side coach" during socials. If a non-team member that you are dancing with has a question, please refer them to the teachers when they ask for questions. It can be confusing and distracting to other dancers
- In addition to these on campus practices, members of the Advanced Salsa Team must also attend a Monday salsa lesson taught by Victoria at Salsalina from 7pm-8pm.
- Please arrive on time, if not early, to ALL lessons. Coming late is disruptive to the class and disrespectful to the teacher.
- All team members are representatives of SASS, and shall act as such; all team members will behave in accordance with the university and SGA codes of conduct at all times
- Maintaining good hygiene is expected at all times - please just do it. We dance often, and close, and with physical contact, so please consider this fact and each other.
- All team members will be expected to obtain an acceptable pair of shoes within the 1st month of getting on the team. Jazz shoes are an acceptable choice for leaders (and for followers as practice shoes) and they cost around $30-40. If a follower decides to perform they must purchase/have an acceptable pair of heels (dance heels are prefered), as this is what followers perform in
- All team members are encouraged to bring a camera or journal to all practices to document the lesson, and then practice what was taught in the lesson on their own time.
- Maintain continuous communication (via your UVM email account), and respond to SASS emails in a timely fashion (i.e. by the date requested for a response) as this is a primary mode of correspondence for important SASS and team matters.
Practice Schedule (Spring 2013):
- Sunday: Choreography Practice 7pm-8pm in the Basketball Courts
- SalsaLina Practice 6pm-7pm at the SalsaLina Studio
- Open Studio 8pm-9pm in the Basketball Courts
- Beginner Social 9pm-10pm in the Basketball Courts
- Intermediate/Technique Social 10pm-11pm in the Dance Studio
- Team Practice 11:45am-2pm in the Dance Studio
Being part of the team is a significant time commitment, but we promise that it is worth it- you will learn TONS. You should be dancing at least 7 hours a week, and we strongly encourage members to attend Beginner and Intermediate lessons, both for the extra practice, and also to help provide assistance to all the new dancers!
Last modified February 05 2013 01:57 PM