What is sexual harassment?
Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that takes many forms, ranging from unwelcome sexual remarks or jokes to physical assault. It can be verbal, visual, or physical in nature, but in all forms, it violates UVM policies and may even violate the law. Examples of sexual harassment include, but are not limited to:
- Subtle pressure for sexual activities
- Unwelcome touching, patting or pinching
- Leering at a person's body
- Persistent, offensive and unwelcome sexual remarks or jokes
- Demands for sexual favors accompanied by implied or overt threats
- Sexually graphic comments about a person's body or personal life
If you experience sexual harassment:
- Make it clear that the conduct is unwelcome and that you want it stopped at once.
- Start documenting the incidents of harassment. Keep a record of dates, places, times, witnesses, the nature of the harassment and the name of the harasser. Keep this file in a safe place.
- If you have witnesses, ask them to put their observations in writing.
- Seek emotional support by discussing the problem privately and in confidence with a counselor at UVM’s Counseling and Psychiatry Services (CAPS)
- If the situation is physically threatening, contact UVM Police Services at 656-3473
If you become aware that a student has experienced sexual harassment:
- Tell the student to immediately convey that the conduct is unwelcome and that s/he wants it stopped at once.
- Tell the student to document the incident(s) and keep a record of dates, places, times, witnesses, the nature of the harassment and the name(s) of the person(s) harassing them.
- Ask the student if there were any witnesses to the behavior, and if so, advise them to have the witnesses put their observations in writing.
- Advise the student that they can get emotional support in confidence from UVM’s Counseling and Psychiatry Services (CAPS).
- Tell the student to contact UVM Police Services immediately if they are concerned about personal safety.
- Minimize the situation
- Blame the victim
Last modified April 15 2015 02:44 PM