University of Vermont

The College of Arts and Sciences

Department of Romance Languages and Linguistics

Romance Languages and Linguistics Department Advising


  • you are a major or minor in one of our programs,
  • or are thinking about studying abroad in a country where one of the languages we teach is spoken,
  • or have questions about the placement test,
  • or just want to learn more about our programs and student opportunities,

We are here to answer your questions!

Academic Advising:

To see who your advisor is, log into the myUVM portal. If you are planning to meet with your advisor, it is best to double check the portal, as advisor assignments can change based on leaves and sabbaticals. You can also email your advisor directly from this page. If you are majoring or minoring in one of our programs but don't have an assigned advisor, contact our department at to be assigned an academic advisor in that program. All UVM students should have an academic advisor in their major, but you may on request have a secondary advisor in your minor or 2nd major where you are a double major.

Study Abroad Advising:

If you are planning to take one or more of our languages or study linguistics while on study abroad, the transfer advisor for that language can help you select your classes and evaluate how they will transfer back to UVM.

Language Placement Advising:

For French or Spanish, you must take the online language placement test and enroll in the course level recommended. The test must be taken within 4 months of enrolling in your first Spanish or French course at UVM. Anyone enrolling without taking the test, or enrolling below the recommended course level, will be disenrolled by the registration system and asked to take the test prior to course sign-up. UVM's placement test is the most widely used in the country, and typically provides accurate placement; however, if you believe you were placed improperly, speak with your instructor. If the instructor believes you should be placed at a different level, s/he can authorize a level change.
If you're planning to take Italian: Most students who study Italian at UVM begin their study of the language here by enrolling in our elementary (001) level course. If you arrive at UVM with prior knowledge of the language, please consult with one of our language instructors to assist you with choosing the right course.
Additional information is available on the “Student Opportunities” page.

Student Opportunities

Many students in our department take advantage of one or more of UVM's many opportunities to study abroad in French, Italian, and Spanish speaking nations available through UVM's membership in the ISEP exchange consortium, as well as our bilateral exchange with the University of León in Spain, and semester abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico. Explore the Study Abroad web site.
UVM also offers short (1-3 week) faculty-led programs abroad, often traveling to nations that speak one of the languages we teach. To investigate these opportunities, explore the Faculty Led Programs Abroad web site.
Student internships are also popular. Some pursue these projects during their study abroad experience, while others find rewarding opportunities here in the Burlington area. Recent internships have included work with local immigrant populations, after-school programs in areas schools, translation and interpretation for area import/export companies, and contacts with Québec and regional Spanish-speaking communities.
For information on careers, explore the Careers page.
Linguistics majors with superior academic records are encouraged to pursue research projects with faculty mentors. In 2013-2014, six students participated in these projects; in 2014-2015, five students participated. They presented their work at the McGill Undergraduate Linguistics Conference (McGill University, Montreal, Canada) and the UVM Student Research Conference.

Last modified February 29 2016 09:30 AM