Residential Learning Communities
The Global VillageLocation: Living/Learning Center A-Building and B-Building
- Application required.
- Applications from upper-level/returning students are due by March 6, 2009.
- Applications from incoming first-year students are due by June 30, 2009.
For UVM students interested in exploring other cultures, studying abroad, or pursuing lives and careers in an increasingly interconnected world, the Global Village may be just the place for you! Drawing on the resources of the Living/Learning Center and its dynamic network of student and faculty-led programs, the community of learners that make up the Global Village will be engaged in coursework, lectures, concerts, exhibits, faculty and peer mentoring, social connections with international students, group meals, and trips that:
- Explore the many connections among language, art and culture at regional, national, and international scales;
- Share disciplinary expertise within an environment that values a holistic approach to “living and learning;”
- Encourage formal and informal contacts among students, faculty, and staff within the Global Village, the Living/Learning Center, the other Residential Learning Communities, and the university as a whole;
- Aim to be a complement to existing international and cross-cultural programs at UVM;
- “Think globally and act locally” by outreach to the
international community at UVM and within the greater Burlington area.
What it Means to be a Global Village Citizen
In terms of organization, the Global Village will be comprised of individual “houses” of between ten and fifteen student residents, each with a particular national, regional, cultural, socio-political, and/or linguistic focus.
Students will apply to join a particular house and live together with other students in that house, arranged in suites of five to seven students. In addition to taking part in any courses that are required or recommended for these individual houses, first-time Global Village students will also enroll in GRS 095/096-The Global Village, a self-paced, one-credit course designed to help them get the most out of residence in the Global Village. Faculty, staff and students will work together closely throughout the year to develop a rich and varied offering of activities that will be of interest to students in all houses.
For More Information
For more information, visit the Global Village Web site: http://www.uvm.edu/globalvillage
In The Press
Last modified March 18 2009 08:27 AM