Department of Risk Management & Safety
Environmental Safety and Health Policy
Chairs and Directors
Chairs and Directors are responsible for:
Communicating to faculty, employees, students, and visitors that health, safety and a concern for the environment are high priorities on the UVM campus, and that everyone shares in the obligation to perform work in a safe, healthful, and environmentally protective manner.
Ensuring that environmental health and safety responsibilities are carried out in the academic departments or administrative units they have responsibility for.
Monitoring the implementation of the following programs in their units, as applicable:
- Emergency Response Training (in all units to cover fire, hazardous material spills, and other emergency situations),
- Job Safety Programs required by OSHA,
- Driver Safety (in any units which require employees to drive as a job responsibility),
- Chemical Safety Program, including Chemical Right to Know (in departments using hazardous chemicals),
- Radiation Safety Compliance (in departments using radioactive materials)
- Exposure Control Plan for Bloodborne Pathogens (in units which have employees at risk for workplace exposure to human blood and body fluids),and
- Hazardous Waste Disposal and Minimization (for units generating hazardous waste).
Directors and Chairs may entrust the details of program implementation to department faculty, staff, department safety officers, or other appropriate persons within the department or unit; however, the ultimate responsibility for implementing these programs at the academic department/administrative unit level remains with the Directors and Chairs.
Last modified February 06 2009 03:07 PM