Department of Risk Management & Safety
Employee Practices Liability
Allegations of wrongful termination, discrimination, or other employment related claims can be minimized by doing the following:
- Do not demonstrate unfair or deferential treatment of others on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, Vietnam veteran status, sexual orientation or any other impermissible criteria considered to be unlawful discrimination.
- Define appropriate skills, education, training and essential functions in all position descriptions.
- Conduct annual performance appraisals of all employees you supervise and be honest in your appraisal of them.
- Do not ignore complaints, investigate them.
- Refer discrimination or sexual harassment complaints to the Affirmative Action office.
- Do not retaliate against employees who file grievances or workers’ compensation claims.
Last modified February 06 2009 03:14 PM