Cans, Glass and Plastic Bottles Plus!
The following food
and beverage containers can be recycled in the bins throughout all
campus. Good News! The
CSWD recycling facility has expanded the types of plastics that are
DO NOT PUT IN
- Glass bottles and jars - (food and beverage only; all
- Steel, metal or "tin" cans
- Aluminum cans (soda, beer, etc)
- Aluminum foil and pie plates
- Plastic bottles and jugs
- Plastic Dairy
tubs (yogurt, cottage cheese, margarine, etc.)
- Clear plastic
hinged "take out" containers
- Hard Plastic
containers must be more than 2" on any 2 sides.
- Plastic flower pots
- Plastic lids larger than 2" in diameter
- EMPTY ALL LIQUIDS
- RINSE ALL ITEMS CLEAN
- LABELS ARE OKAY
- Small plastic caps or lids
- "Bio-degradable" or PLA-plastic
- Glass light bulbs, dishes, ceramics or drinking glasses.
- Plastic utensils, cups or plates
- Plastic bags or "film" plastics
- Styrofoam cups or plates.
- Plastic toys or household items
- Motor oil containers (discard as trash)
For more detailed guidelines, visit the CSWD Recycling List.
At UVM, the custodial and housekeeping staff will transport these materials to
each building loading dock or designated pick up spot.
Materials are then hauled to the Chittenden Material
Recycling Facility and sorted into various categories (glass,
metal) to be sent to factories and mills to be turned into new
[Return to Recycling
& Waste Disposal Guide]