Recycling & Waste Management
Cans, Glass and Plastic Bottles Plus!
The following food and beverage containers can be recycled in the bins throughout all buildings on campus. Good News! The CSWD recycling facility has expanded the types of plastics that are accepted.
PLEASE DO RECYCLE:
- Glass bottles and jars - (food and beverage only; all colors)
- Steel, metal or "tin" cans
- Aluminum cans (soda, beer, etc)
- Aluminum foil and pie plates
- Plastic bottles and jugs (All Numbers)
- Plastic Dairy tubs (yogurt, cottage cheese, margarine, etc.)
- Clear plastic hinged "take out" containers
- Hard Plastic Frozen-Food Trays
- Plastic containers must be more than 2" on any 2 sides.
- Plastic flower pots
- Plastic lids larger than 2" in diameter
- EMPTY ALL LIQUIDS
- RINSE ALL ITEMS CLEAN
- LABELS ARE OKAY
- Small plastic caps or lids
- "Bio-degradable" or PLA-plastic
- Glass light bulbs, dishes, ceramics or drinking glasses.
- Plastic utensils, cups or plates
- Plastic bags or "film" plastics
- Styrofoam cups or plates.
- Plastic toys or household items
- Motor oil containers (discard as trash)
For more detailed guidelines, visit the CSWD Recycling List.
At UVM, the custodial and housekeeping staff will transport these materials to each building loading dock or designated pick up spot. Materials are then hauled to the Chittenden Material Recycling Facility and sorted into various categories (glass, plastic, metal) to be sent to factories and mills to be turned into new products.
Last modified September 12 2011 05:49 PM