Certification Courses and Trainings for Fitness Professionals
Campus Recreation values the importance of student development through preparing students to become Certified Group Fitness Instructors and/or Personal Trainers. We have partnered with the Physical Education Department to offer classes that are a semester-long and provide potential instructors and /or trainers with the education and experience to not only prepare for the American Council on Exercise (ACE) National Certification Exam but also gain hands on experience needed to become safe and effective in their role.
EDPE 200: Personal Training (Exam Preparation Course) – spring - 3 credits - no prerequisites required
This is a course to assist students interested in Personal Training and/or becoming a Certified Personal Trainer (certification exam fee and exam not included). This course is designed to give students the knowledge and understanding necessary to prepare to take a nationally accredited Personal Training exam and to become innovative, safe and effective Personal Trainers. Students taking this course do not have to have applied sciences pre-requirements. Sciences related to the human body and functional movement will be covered. This course consists of both online and physical lecture, online testing, and laboratory experience. The goal is for hands-on learning of comprehensive systems for designing individualized programs based on each client’s unique health, fitness, and goals. The information covered by this course will help students learn how to facilitate rapport, adherence, self-efficacy and behavior change in clients, as well as design programs that help clients to improve posture, movement, flexibility, balance, core function, cardiorespiratory fitness, and muscular endurance and strength. Students will apply the skills and information learned in this course through simulated training experiences in the UVM Campus Recreation Gucciardi Fitness Center during class time. It is strongly recommended that all students for this course register for a Personal Training package prior to class to gain exposure to our assessment, goal setting and program design process.
EDPE 200: Group Fitness Instructors in Training – Group Fitness Exam Preparation Course - spring - 3 credits - no prerequisites required
The Group Fitness Instructor Certification preparation course will give you the knowledge to design and teach any class better, lead all fitness levels effectively, and deliver experiences your participants will never forget. This course is designed to give students the knowledge and understanding necessary to prepare for the ACE Group Fitness Instructor Certification Exam and become effective group fitness instructors. This class will cover foundations in applied sciences and create relative fitness and instructional experiences to practice this knowledge. In this course students will sample and learn to lead modalities like step aerobics, cardio kickboxing, TRX, Pilates, Spinning, Yoga, strength training, core training and more. Earning a certification accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) will set you apart as a teacher who leads more than just the front row. The certification exam cost is not part of the course fee.
- Date: TBD
- When: 9am-5pm
- Where: Patrick Multipurpose 217
- Workshop Description:
- Expand your potential resources and maximize your revenue by bringing TRX Suspension Training to the scale of group fitness classes. This course will help you create fun and innovative classes adaptable to all fitness levels. You’ll not only learn TRX Suspension Training fundamentals, but how to incorporate a range of TRX strength and flexibility exercises into a group-training format. Completion of this course will also qualify you for Level 2 courses.
- In the TRX Group Suspension Training Course, you'll learn how to:
- Teach two different TRX group class formats
- Design group TRX workouts to fit your own style
- Cue techniques for group class settings
- Properly set up and use the TRX Suspension Trainer
- Join the official TRX Directory of trainers and facilities
- CEC List: ACE 0.7, AFAA 5.0, AFLCA 7.0, BCRPA 7.0, canfitpro 4.0, Fitness Australia 7.0, NASM 0.7, PTA Global 8.0, REPS 9.0, and SkillsActive REPS 8.0 (ACSM accepts ACE CECs)
Indoor Cycling - coming soon!
- If you have questions call Fitness Programs at (802)-656-7713 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last modified August 10 2016 03:40 PM