Annual Review of Safety Procedures
Each year, the Radiation Safety Office (RSO) is required by the Nuclear
Regulatory Commission to provide updated safety information to each
certified radiation handler. This article outlines options for radiation
users to refresh their knowledge of safety procedures or to prepare new
radiation handling protocols. We encourage you to select the option that
best suits your needs.
- The RSO has radiation safety videotapes and monographs which can be
loaned out at no charge.
- RSO staff are available to meet with any individual or laboratory group
to answer questions or to provide training in any aspect of radiation use.
- The RSO has a handout entitled Radiation Safety Procedures which lists
specific procedures which must be followed when handling unsealed liquid
sources of radioactive materials.
- A new version of the Radiation Safety Handbook will soon be available
from the Radiation Safety Office. You'll also be able to see it on our Web
- Visit our WWW site at http://www.uvm.edu/~radsafe which is being updated
frequently with Radiation safety protocols and information.
- Read Safety News for articles on radiation safety.
- Full-time University employees and students are eligible to enroll in
BMT- 4, Introductory Radiation Science, a 3-credit course offered this Fall
from 12:20pm - 1:10pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The course
covers radiation decay, biological effects of radiation, and radiation
protection. If you are interested in the course, call Louis Izzo at
Contact the RSO if you have questions about radiation safety, safety
training or any of the above material.
-Louis M. Izzo