Department of Psychological Science
The Clinical Psychology Internship Program (CPIP)
I am interested in aggression, psychopathy (e.g. persistent social deviance), and antisocial behavior. My program of research focuses on mechanisms of dysfunction and risk and protective factors influencing the development of these difficulties. I seek to address varied expressions of harmful behavior, ranging from social aggression (e.g. spreading harmful rumors, malicious use of humor) to physical assault and theft. I am interested in examining mechanisms of dysfunction underlying these difficulties and using findings to refine evidence-based interventions, maximizing treatment effectiveness and disseminability. My work also focuses on exploring alternative low cost modalities of intervention delivery (e.g. community social groups, neighborhood resources promoting prosocial activity).
I hope that empirical exploration of these variables will allow efforts to benefit the greatest possible number of individuals. In conjunction with my focus on harmful behavior, I am interested in applications of advanced statistical techniques to psychological research. I have worked extensively with structural equation modeling (SEM) and provided statistical consultations on numerous projects. I plan on utilizing SEM and longitudinal analytic techniques (e.g. latent growth curve modeling and hierarchical linear modeling) in future projects.
- Berkout, O. V., Gross, A. M., & Kellum K. K. (2013). Behaving badly: A perspective on mechanisms of dysfunction in psychopathy research. Aggression and Violent Behavior. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1016/j.avb.2013.07.013
- Berkout, O. V. & Gross A. M. (2013). Externalizing behavior challenges within primary care settings. Aggression and Violent Behavior. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1016/j.avb.2013.07.004
- Berkout, O. V. & Gross, A. M. (2013). Treating attention maintained behavior in a high school student. Clinical Case Studies. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/1534650113491310
- Berkout, O. V., Kim, E. H., Gross, A. M., & Young, J. N. (2012). From the Ivory Tower to an underserved rural population: Overcoming treatment barriers in public schools. The Behavior Therapist, 35(6), 110-113.
- Berkout, O. V., Young, J. N., & Gross, A. M. (2011). Mean girls and bad boys: Recent research on gender differences in conduct disorder. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 16(6), 503–511.