Department of Plant and Soil Science
The Plant and Soil Science Department considers that public communication is an important skill to be developed by all of its graduate students. The department recognizes that scientific presentations to peer groups are different to outreach or extension presentations. The department will require for all graduate students to give scientific presentations, during their graduate career. The guidelines for students to meet this requirement are as follows:
- MS students will be required to present at least once, in addition to their theses defense.
- Ph.D. students will be required to present at least twice, in addition to their dissertation defense.
- The timing of the presentation is flexible, although we encourage students to do it as soon as possible.
- Presentation venues include, but are not restricted to, departmental or other campus seminars, professional conferences or other types of scientific symposia or meetings.
- If students present at an on-campus seminar, they will provide a written reflection of their experience, as part of their graduate requirements. If the chosen venue is the PSS seminar, they will also receive peer completed by attendees.
A bibliography of acceptable references on scientific presentations will be made available to graduate students. An example of such materials can be found at: http://www.tos.org/pdfs/sci_speaking.pdf.
Last modified July 27 2012 10:48 AM