Department of Plant and Soil Science
Outreach (Extension) Experience/Requirement
An outreach experience has the same educational value to a graduate student as teaching and research experiences. Outreach gives the student exposure to another area of potential employment and an opportunity to assess this type of work.
Each student must participate in an outreach experience during their graduate degree program. Students pursuing both the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in our department are only required to fill this requirement during their M.S. program. Students may take part in any one of the experiences listed below. A student may undertake an extension activity not described herein, subject to approval by his/her major advisor and the Graduate Coordinator. Waiver of this experience must be requested at the time the Plan of Graduate Work is submitted to the Graduate College.
Information Development and Communications
- Present research-generated information in a form and through a medium designed to reach either the general public or industry. Examples include: trade journals, press releases, newsletters, etc. (The Friends of the Horticulture Farm newsletter, the Vermont Association of Professional Horticulturist newsletter and the Vermont Master Gardener newsletter are some available options)
- Write a popular article for a trade paper, magazine or newsletter. (The Burlington Free Press is always looking for information from UVM)
- Participate in a radio or television interview
- Present a talk to an audience of non-scientists (Examples include: local garden club meetings, the Vermont Flower Show, or at a seminar sponsored by The Friends of the Horticulture Farm)
- Assist in the development of a commodity meeting
- Assist in tours of the UVM greenhouse or Horticulture Research Farm
- Travel with an extension agent on field visits
- Volunteer on the Master Gardener Hotline
- Present a program (field-related) at a public or private school
- Present or develop material for other educational institutions.
- Examples include museums and state historical sites
After completion of the extension experience, the activities conducted by the student must be briefly described and document by the student in a memo, approved by their major advisor and forwarded to the Graduate Coordinator. This memo will become part of the student’s permanent file.
Last modified April 19 2012 03:59 PM