Vice President for Human Resources, Diversity and Multicultural Affairs
Blackboard Jungle 4 Symposium
and Workshops: March 24-25, 2011
"Diversity, Opportunity, and the Shifting Meritocracy in Higher Education"
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Lani Guinier
Civil Rights Attorney and First Tenured Black Woman Professor at Harvard University
Keynote Kickff in Celebration of Women's History
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Ira Allen Chapel
7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
This Event is Free
and Open to the Public
Symposium - Engaging the Silences: Transformative Conversations
in the Classroom and Community
Friday, March 25, 2011 at the University of Vermont Dudley H. Davis Center.
The 21st Century University is a complex, diverse and multifaceted space for teaching, learning and working. The Symposium is designed for PK-16 faculty, staff, and all others wanting to foster greater diversity and cultural understanding within their communities. It will address the challenges and emerging approaches used to shape conversations, critical thinking and action regarding multiculturalism and diversity.
Keynote Luncheon Speaker: Dr. Tommie Robinson
Director of the Scottish Rite Center for Childhood Language Disorders in the
Children's Hearing and Speech Center at Children's National Medical Center
in Washington, D.C.
"Leading a Culture of Service Excellence to Students from Diverse Backgrounds"
Keynote Luncheon Speaker
Friday, March 25, 2011
Davis Center, 4th Floor
12:00 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Dean's Breakfast Roundtable: Dr. Priscilla P. Nelson
Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology
"Challenges Faced by Women and People of Color in Leadership Roles in Engineering Business, Academic, and the Public Sector"
Dean's Breakfast Roundtable
Friday, March 25, 2011
Davis Center 4th Floor
8:00 - 9:30
Note: Registration is Required for the Symposium and will be available soon!
Fee: $20 for UVM Employees and $30 for Non UVM participants.
- Perception Through Images: Immigration and the Classroom
- Achieving Equity in Schools
- The US, The They: Crossing Cultural Borders
- Bullying: Not a Part of the Curriculum
- Pop Culture, Language Hierarchy and Communication
- How to Nurture Women and People of Color in STEM Fields for Success
in Engineering, Business, Academic and the Public Sector
- Cultural Competency and Supervision
- Faculty Say the Darndest Things II
- Staff Say the Darndest Things
Join us at the 4th Annual Blackboard Jungle Symposium!
This is your time to hear and engage in transformative conversations. Mark your calendars for March 25, 2011 for a day to explore curriculum, pedagogy and research from a variety of perspectives.
March 28-31, 2011: Professional Development Week
(for UVM Faculty, Staff and Administrators)
- Opposing Views as Teaching Tools: Useful Arguments: They are a Cultural Population: Bisexuals, Gays and Lesbians Claim?
- Cultural Competency in Service-Learning Classes: Preparing Students for Community Based Experiences
- Creating the Conditions for Dialogue across Difference
- Making Writing Assignments Work for Everyone: Universal Design for Writing