The faculty of the UVM political science department are nationally and internationally recognized scholars in their fields. Not only do they regularly publish in academic outlets, but their expertise is also recognized more broadly, by the national and international media, by think tanks and research institutes and by the U.S. government. Among other accomplishments, UVM faculty members have been quoted in the New York Times, interviewed on NPR, appeared on the News Hour on PBS and testified before Congressional committees.
Just since 2009, department members have published 24 books, along with numerous articles in scholarly journals, journals of opinion and current events and newspapers. Those books demonstrate both the productivity of the department and the breadth of topics covered in its research and teaching:
- Peter S. Henne, 2017 "Islamic Politics, Muslim States, and Counterterrorism Tensions." Cambridge University Press, US
- Garrison Nelson, 2017 "John William McCormack A Political Biography." Bloomsbury Press, NY, NY.
- John P. Burke, 2016."Presidential Power: Theories and Dilemmas." Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Michele Commercio, 2016. "Otinchalar – ‘Truly’ Muslim?" In "Book Discussions: Svetlana Peshkova, Women, Islam, and Identity: Public Life in Private Spaces in Uzbekistan," Central Asian Affairs 3: 77-93.
- Bob Pepperman Taylor, 2016. "Environmentalism," in an on-line encyclopedia, American Governance, Macmillan/Cengage Learning.
- Lisa M. Holmes, 2017 with Robert A. Carp, Ronald Stidham, Kenneth L. Manning. Judicial Process in America. 10th edition. Washington, DC: CQ Press.
- Alex Zakaras, 2015. "A Liberal Pluralism: Isaiah Berlin and John Stuart Mill," translated into Chinese and republished in Isaiah Berlin and Contemporary China, Liu Dong and Xu Xiangdong, eds. Nanjing: Yilin Press.
- John P. Burke, 2016. "The Transition," in A Companion to Gerald R. Ford and Jimmy Carter, ed. Scott Kaufman. New York: Wiley Blackwell, pp. 251-271.
- Ellen Ann Andersen, 2016. "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights Movements." American Governance. Macmillan/Cengage Learning [print and electronic].
- Robert V. Bartlett (with Walter F. Baber), "Simulations," Encyclopedia of Global Environmental Governance and Politics, ed. Fariborz Zelli and Philipp H. Pattberg, Cheltenham, UYK: Edward Elgar, pp. 161-174.
- Robert V. Bartlett (with Walter F. Baber), Consensus and Global Environmental Governance: Deliberative Democracy in Nature's Regime (MIT Press, February 2015)
- Bob Pepperman Taylor, The Routledge Guidebook to Thoreau's Civil Disobedience. (The Rutledge Guides to the Great Books series by Rutledge, January, 2015)
- Anthony Gierzynski (with Kathryn Eddy) , Harry Potter and the Millennials: Research Methods and the Politics of the Muggle Generation, (The Johns Hopkins University Press, May, 2013)
- Garrison Nelson Pathways to the US Supreme Court: From the Arena to the Monastery (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, December, 2013)
- E. Thomas Sullivan, The Arc Of Due Process In American Constitutional Law (with Toni Massaro),(Oxford University Press 2013)
Fariborz Makhtari, In the Lion's Shadow: The Iranian Schindler and His Homeland in the Second World War (The History Press 2012) Eric Zencey, The Other Road To Serfdom & the path to sustainable democracy (University Press of New England 2012) Eric Zencey (with Elizabeth Courtney), Greening Vermont: The Search for a Sustainable State (Thistle Hill Publications and the Vermont Natural Resources Council 2012)
- Jan Feldman, Citizenship, Faith, and Feminism (Brandeis University Press, 2011)
- Anthony Gierzynski, Saving American Elections: A Diagnosis and Prescription for a Healthier Democracy, (Cambria Press, May, 2011)
- Garrison Nelson Committees In the U.S. Congress, 1993-2010 (Washington, DC: CQ/Sage, 2011)
- Robert Bartlett (with Walter Baber), Global Democracy and Sustainable Jurisprudence: Deliberative Environmental Law (MIT University Press, 2010)
- Michele Commercio, Russian Minority Politics in Post-Soviet Latvia and Kyrgyzstan : The Transformative Power of Informal Networks (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2010)
- Bob Pepperman Taylor, Horace Mann’s Troubling Legacy: The Education of Democratic Citizens (University Press of Kansas, 2010)
- John Burke, Honest Broker?: The National Security Advisor and Presidential Decision Making (Texas A&M University Press, 2009)
- Alec Ewald, The Way We Vote: The Local Dimension of American Suffrage (Vanderbilt University Press, 2009)
- Alec Ewald, Criminal Disenfranchisement in an International Perspective (co-edited, with Brandon Rottinghaus), (Cambridge University Press, 2009. Pp. iv – 302).
- Garrison Nelson (with co-authors), The Austin-Boston Connection : Five Decades of House Democratic Leadership, 1937-1989 (Texas A&M University Press, 2009)
- Thomas E. Sullivan Complex Litigation (with Richard Freer, Doug Floyd, Brad Clary) (2009, Lexis/Nexis)
- Thomas E. Sullivan 2013, 2011, 2010 Supplements to Complex Litigation
- Thomas E. Sullivan Teacher's Manual For Complex Litigation (with Richard Freer, Doug Floyd, Brad Clary) (2009, Lexis/Nexis)
- Thomas E. Sullivan Proportionality Principles In American Law (with Richard Frase) (2009, Oxford University Press)
- Thomas E. Sullivan Antitrust Law, Policy, and Procedure (with H. Hovenkamp and H. Shelanski) (casebook) (6th edition, 2009, Lexis/Nexis)
- Peter VonDoepp, Judicial Politics in New Democracies: Cases from Southern Africa (Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2009)
- Alex Zakaras, Individuality and Mass Democracy: Mill, Emerson, and the Burdens of Citizenship (Oxford University Press, 2009)
A full listing of the research interests of faculty members may be found here.
Last modified March 20 2017 03:42 PM