Robert Bartlett, Professor, Department Chair and Gund Chair of the Liberal Arts (2006)
- B.A., Indiana University
- M.P.A., Indiana University
- Ph.D., Indiana University
- Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
Area of expertise
Environmental Policy and Politics, Green Politics and Political Theory
Contact InformationOffice: Old Mill 534 Phone: 802.656.8622 Email: Robert.V.Bartlett@uvm.edu
Office Hours: Monday/Wednesday - 11:30-12;30, 2:00-3:00 or by appointment.
Professor Bartlett teaches courses in American environmental politics, comparative environmental policy, international environmental policy, and global green politics. His current research focuses on environmental democracy, namely, the applicability of theories of deliberative democracy to environmental policy and politics and, in turn, the implications of practical policy considerations for theorizing about deliberative democracy. His main current project is on democracy, environmental policy, and international jurisprudence. He has twice been a Senior Fulbright Scholar (New Zealand and Ireland). In spring 2007 he was the Distinguished Fulbright Chair of Environmental Policies at the Turin Polytechnic Institute and University in Italy. He has published many articles and nine books, including:
- (With Walter F. Baber) Consensus and Global Environmental Governance: Deliberative Democracy in Nature's Regime. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2015.
- (With Debashish Munshi and Priya Kurian) "Sustainable Citizenship for a Technological World: Negotiating Deliberative Dialectics," Citizenship Studies 18 (3-4, 2014): 435-451.
- (With Walter F. Baber) "Green Political Ideas and Environmental Policy." In the Oxford Handbook on U.S. Environmental Policy, ed. Sheldon Kamieniecki and Michael E. Kraft. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- (With Walter F. Baber) "International Law and Global Climate Change." In The Oxford Handbook on Climate Change and Society, ed. John S. Dryzek, Richard B. Norgaard and David Schlosberg. New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
In 2013 Professor Bartlett was recipient of the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Lecture Award. He delivered his lecture, "Sustainable Environment, Sustainable Democracy, Sustainable Politics," on October 3, 2012. The lecture was video recorded and can be viewed at CAS Media.
- Ellen Andersen (2008)
- Robert Bartlett (2006)
- Caroline Beer (2000)
- Eileen Burgin (1988)
- John P. Burke (1984)
- Matthew Carlson (2005)
- Michele Commercio (2006)
- Alec Ewald (2006)
- Jan Feldman (1982)
- Anthony (Jack) Gierzynski (1992)
- Deborah Lynn Guber (1998)
- Lisa Holmes (2002)
- Patrick Neal (1988)
- Garrison Nelson (1968)
- E. Thomas Sullivan (2012)
- Bob Pepperman Taylor (1986)
- Martha Thomas (2010)
- Peter VonDoepp (2005)
- Melissa Willard-Foster (2012)
- Alex Zakaras (2005)