Mt. St. Helens, May 18, 1980
Web pages to read:
St. Helens, Washington, 1980 (read entire contents)
- USGS Volcano Hazards Program
(including global volcanic updates)
- Volcano World,
great pictures and current volcano activity!
- Global Volcanism
Program (navigate to "Types and Processes" under Photo
- Mt. St.
- Volcanic Cookery a good laugh
to Jimmy Buffet's "Volcano" (where would you go?)
- Questions to think about for the quiz and
final (answers will be in lecture, readings, and web pages):
- How does the geologic process work that causes eruptions?
- Where in the world are volcanoes most likely to exist?
- What settings/areas exacerbate volcanic hazards?
- What are the specific dangers to both life and property that
- Can eruptions be predicted? If so, how? If not, why not?
- How can the effects of volcanoes be mitigated (how do we reduce
the money spent on relief from eruptions)?
- Describe the two major volcanic types, give an example of each,
and describe their eruptive products.