House buried by Pinatubo mudflow;
house prior to burial
Web pages to read:
- USGS all about lahars - volcanic mudflows
of Mt. St. Helens Mudflows (with dramatic narration!)
of a Debris Flow in the Sierra Nevada
- Questions to think about for the quiz and
final (answers will be in lecture, readings, and web pages):
- What causes mudflows?
- Are there places in the world that are particularly susceptible
to mudflows? If so, where?
- What settings/areas exacerbate mudflow hazards?
- What are the specific dangers to both life and property that
- Can mudflows be predicted? If so, how? If not, why not?
- How can the effects of mudflows be mitigated (how do we reduce
the money spent on relief from mudflow damage)?
- What is the difference between mudflows and landslides?
- Why do mudflows travel so far?