Hurricane Floyd, September 1999
Web pages to read:
- All about Hurricanes with statistics about damge and location
New England: 1938
Mitch, Honduras: 1998
- Questions to think about for the quiz and
final (answers will be in lecture, readings, and web pages):
- Where do hurricanes originate? How do they work? What makes them
- Where in the world are hurricanes most likely to cause damage?
- What settings/areas exacerbate the effects of hurricanes?
- What are the specific dangers to both life and property that
- Can hurricanes be predicted? If so, how? If not, why not?
- How can the effects of hurricanes be mitigated (how do we reduce
the money spent on relief from hurricane damage)?