People stranded on rooftop by
Mozambique, spring 2000
Web pages to read:
- start with: Maps
and graphics/Mozambique floods interactive guide
- FEMA Flood
Science and Personal Accounts (read some of the accounts!)
- Questions to think about for the quiz and
final (answers will be in lecture, readings, and web pages):
- What causes flooding?
- Are there places in the world that are particularly susceptible
to flooding? If so, where?
- What settings/areas exacerbate flood hazards?
- What are the specific dangers to both life and property that
- Can floods be predicted? If so, how? If not, why not?
- How can the effects of floods be mitigated (how do we reduce the
money spent on relief from flood damage)?