Aftermath of Kobe, Japan earthquake,
Web pages to read:
for Fixed Global GPS Stations
- Digital Tectonic
- San Francisco: 1906
Prieta, California: 1989
- 1964 Alaska
Earthquake Radio Traffic
- Questions to think about for the quiz and
final (answers will be in lecture, readings, and web pages):
- How does the geologic process work that causes earthquakes?
- Where in the world are earthquakes most likely to strike?
- What settings/areas exacerbate earthquake damage?
- What are the specific dangers to both life and property that
- Can earthquakes be predicted? If so, how? If not, why not?
- How can the effects of earthquakes be mitigated (how do we reduce
the money spent on earthquake relief)?
- Describe the three major fault types, and give an example of