An avalanche crashes down a mountain
Web pages to read:
- Avalanche Awareness
(lots of good basics)
- Questions to think about for the quiz and
final (answers will be in lecture, readings, and web pages):
- What causes avalanches? What makes snow more susceptible to
- Where in the world are avalanches most likely to strike?
- What settings/areas exacerbate avalanche hazards?
- What are the specific dangers to both life and property that
- Can avalanches be predicted? If so, how? If not, why not?
- How can the effects of avalanches be mitigated (how do we reduce
the money spent on relief from avalanche damage)?