The Vermont Grass Farmers AssociationThe Vermont Grass Farmers' Association (VGFA) was founded in 1996 with support from the UVM Center for Sustainable Agriculture and USDA-NRCS. The VGFA is a 501(c)3 non‐profit with the mission to help farmers generate wealth through grass‐based farming. Its membership consists of farmers, non‐profits, and land owners who work to support a more environmentally and economically sustainable agricultural model.
The VGFA is a farmer-driven organization that promotes, manages and oversees managed grazing outreach and education programs for Vermont producers. We are dedicated to furthering the use of managed livestock grazing to create healthier soils, cleaner water and financially and personally sustainable farms.
Organizational goals include:
• Enhancing soil and waterCurrent programs include
• Building farmer‐to‐farmer connections
• Upholding the viability and resilience of Vermont’s livestock farms.
• Vermont Grazing & Livestock ConferenceBenefits of VGFA membership:
• Jamie Cherington Memorial Mini Grant Program
• Workshops and Pasture Walks
• Jon Rutter Memorial Fund to support new farmers
• State Technical Committee representation
Yearly memberships cost $40 and end December 31.
Join or renew online:
2016-2017 Board of Directors:
- President Niko Horster, Shire Beef,
- Vice-President Gabe Zoerheide, Winter Moon Farm, Corinth
- Treasurer Benneth Phelps, Dirt Capital Partners
- Secretary Ellen Fox, Northwoods
- Henry Cammack, Shelburne Farms, Shelburne
- Matt Choiniere, Choinere Dairy Farm, Highgate Center
- Seth Itzkan, Soil4Climate, Thetford
- Ryan Hayes, Farm of Milk & Honey, Worcester
Each year, the VGFA elects a Board of Directors which manage the budget, oversee member activities and outreach, help organize the annual grazing and livestock conference, and represent grass-based livestock farmers at the state and regional level as Vermont's Grazing Lands Partnership steering committee.
If you are
interested in joining the board, please complete this application.
We welcome applications throughout the year.
Additional Board service benefits include
- Mileage stipends for meeting attendance
- Tabling and advertisement benefits at the VT Grazing & Livestock Conference
support to attend regional Pasture Consortium events and
national grazing conferences to represent VGFA's membership
& Vermont's perspective as well as further your own
farming professional development
Last modified November 18 2016 05:17 PM