UVM Study Abroad Pre-Departure Guidebook
Section 2 Cross Cultural Issues
Cultural Sensitivity and Norms: LGBTQ Students
- If you are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or questioning, learn about the local culture and scene and if it’s safe to be out.
- Some countries are more progressive and may make it easier for you to come out. While other countries/cultures may be more conservative.
- Some cultures’ understanding of “gay” and “straight” don’t exist in the same way they do in the US; or they don’t carry the same importance.
- Some cultures may not see LGBTQ issues as identity issues, but rather a behavior or orientation.
- BEFORE you go abroad, find support groups and get feedback on those groups. Don’t find yourself in an unsafe environment because you didn’t do your research ahead of time.
- Remember, it’s not your place to change a culture.
- The Lonely Planet guidebooks and online website, http://www.lonelyplanet.com, has information dedicated to the LGBTQ scenes and general sentiment of the area.
- For a lengthy list of resources please check out the following website: http://www.indiana.edu/~overseas/lesbigay/student.htm
Return to Section 2 Menu