UVM Study Abroad Pre-Departure Guidebook
Section 1 Before You Go:
Interested in Working Abroad
Studying abroad often leads to an interest in working abroad. Here are some steps that you can take now to broaden your future overseas employment opportunities:
Before you leave for study abroad:
- Check out library holdings and visit web sites to find out what sorts of opportunities there are (UVM’s Career Services office and Office of International Education have resources which address overseas employment).
- Prepare your resume before leaving campus for study abroad; take copies with you overseas.
- Meet with an adviser from Career Services for help preparing and exploring your options before you go abroad!
While you are studying abroad:
- Ask your overseas program coordinator about internship options.
- Do an internship while you are studying abroad.
- Visit the Embassy of your host country to find out about employment rules, work permits, visa status, etc.
- Talk to your friends/host family overseas about employment options while you are there.
- Make appointments to talk to personnel office contacts at potential work sites overseas.
For more information, please contact the Career Services, Living/Learning, E Building, 656-3450, or the Office of International Education
Return to Section 1 Menu