University of Vermont

Step 5: Earning credit for your studies

step 5Coursework successfully completed overseas will be considered for transfer credit at UVM. With the exceptions of the UVM Buckham, Belize, Oaxaca semester and faculty-led programs, grades earned overseas will not be calculated into your UVM GPA and will not appear on your UVM transcript.

Know the transfer credit policies and processes


Note to graduating seniors studying abroad:

If you study abroad spring semester of your senior year and expect to graduate at the end of that semester, the Office of Transfer Affairs may not receive your transcript until well after the graduation certification deadline in May. In this case, you would likely be certified as a graduate the following October and receive your diploma the following May.

"Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to."
— Alan Keightley

All overseas courses must be taken for credit and for grades. You may not audit courses or take courses Pass/Fail. You must earn a grade of "C" (or its equivalent at your host institution) or higher in order for credit to transfer back to UVM. Grades of "C-" or below will not transfer.

Courses in disciplines outside those taught at UVM generally do not transfer. While you may take courses in foreign languages that are not offered at UVM, they are only eligible for generic language credit. Such courses may not be used to meet any UVM language requirements.

Credit is given for course content only once; it is your responsibility not to duplicate courses.

Note about language courses: Obtaining appropriate credit for language courses requires careful preparation and consideration, and is a process specific to each individual student. Most programs require language placement tests. If time has passed since your last language course, it is recommended that you brush up on your language skills to ensure appropriate placement at the institution abroad. If you enroll in a course that is equivalent to a course that you have already taken, you will not receive credit for it.

Consult the transfer guide

The Registrar's Office offers an online transfer guide. The transfer guide has information about how courses from other institutions have transferred to UVM in the past. It includes some (but not all) overseas institutions and study abroad programs. The course information is constantly being updated and does not substitute for an official evaluation by the Office of Transfer Affairs.

Meet with Office of Transfer Affairs and appropriate academic representatives to get approval for study abroad

In your iAbroad account, you will seek electronic UVM approval to study abroad from a series of individuals. After you have met with the Office of Transfer Affairs (TA) to determine the transferability of your selected courses, the appropriate academic advisor or transfer coordinator must approve courses you plan to take for major, minor, or language credit. Your dean's office will make the final determination regarding how transfer credit is applied toward your degree requirements.

Getting approval for internships and independent studies: There is no pre-approval or guarantee of transfer credit for internships or independent studies. You are responsible for contacting the appropriate UVM departments regarding policies on credit for internships or independent studies before going abroad; and seeking appropriate approval through the iAbroad UVM approval process. Coursework will be reviewed upon return.

Note the residency requirement: 30 of your last 45 credits must be taken at UVM. If you are in the College of Arts & Sciences, half of your major and minor requirements must be taken at UVM.

Secure your credit when you return

You are responsible for requesting an official transcript from your host institution abroad and/or your program's U.S. transcribing institution. Please note that some study abroad programs charge a separate transcribing fee. The transcript should be sent directly to the Office of Transfer Affairs (TA). If you receive what may be a transcript at home, please bring it to TA without opening it. Transcripts are considered official only if they arrive in TA in a sealed envelope. If you open the envelope containing your transcript, you will be responsible for contacting your host institution and requesting another official copy.

You are advised to request extra copies of your transcript from your host institution abroad. You may need them for future pursuits, such as graduate school or job applications. Do not open sealed copies of your transcript, or they will no longer be considered official. All transcript requests should be made directly to the host institution abroad or the U.S. transcribing institution. UVM does not retain copies of study abroad transcripts.

Save all coursework, including course syllabi, reading lists, notes, exams and papers. You are not expected to save textbooks, but if the texts you use are not noted on your syllabi or reading lists, please make a note of them. If your coursework requires review, please bring all course materials to the Office of Transfer Affairs. TA will fill out the necessary paperwork and forward your materials to the appropriate departments. Please do not bring coursework directly to departments yourself. If the proper paperwork is not filled out and returned to TA, your credits will not be appropriately applied to your record and you will likely have to repeat the review process.

Next step: Choosing and applying to your program

Understanding how to secure academic credit for your hard work is a crucial step before moving forward. When you are ready, move on to Step 6: Choosing and applying to your program.

Last modified July 21 2015 12:38 PM

Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131