University of Vermont

TN Trade NAFTA Employees

Contact at OIE for TN questions and issues.

General Processing Timelines

1 month prior to expected start date

Costs to UVM

None to minimal.

Who can be a TN status holder?

Citizens of either Canada or Mexico working in a profession on the NAFTA Professional Job Series list for which the employee has the qualifications of the profession. Employment must be with a U.S. employer.

Procedure for requesting TN immigration paperwork

Submit the following documents electronically to

  1. Employee name
  2. Departmental job offer letter (including specific start date)
  3. Position description (including requirements for the position)
  4. Salary information, if not included in the offer letter

UVM Human Resources process

Learn more.


  • Employees new to UVM - Getting approval: Upon creating the TN request letter, OIE will send it by UPS Express to the employee who can anticipate receiving it within 3-5 business days. Electronic copies are not advisable. Canadian citizens need to take the letter and other materials outlined on OIE‚€™s website to the border to request admission in TN status; Mexican citizens require additional steps.
  • Returning to UVM - Updating I-9: Employees who recently were working at UVM in TN status, and are returning to UVM to work another semester/academic year, simply need to make an appointment with OIE to update or complete a new I-9.

Post-arrival check-in

All TN status holders must formally check in with the Office of International Education on or before the first day of work.

To schedule an appointment: Call 656-4296: please indicate the name and visa category of the new arrival (TN)

What happens at check-in?

  • Complete and authorize I-9
  • Complete the International Information Form (IIF) for the University Controller‚€™s Office; this form ensures that the foreign national is taxed properly among other things.
  • Refer to the Social Security Administration when relevant for SSN application
  • General orientation and answers about getting settled in Vermont

Last modified July 22 2013 12:55 PM

Contact UVM © 2016 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131