Extending the J-1 Program
Bringing International Students, Staff, and Faculty to UVM
Special Note: Please make every effort to request a J-1 program extension in a timely manner; if a J-1 visa holder continues employment beyond the initial program end date, she/he is out of status and working without authorization.
Which J-1 visa holders are eligible for extensions?
- J-1 professors and research: extendable up to five years
- Specialists: extendable up to one year of maximum participation
- Short-term scholars extendable up to six month maximum
- Students: no limits on extension
How to Request an Extension:
- Contact the J-1 adviser Amy.Corwin@uvm.edu to ensure that an extension is possible
- Submit an updated appointment letter with the following information to ISSS:
- The new requested program end date
- Amount and source of compensation
- Description of work and how it relates to scholar’s original purpose for coming to UVM
- Must be submitted on letterhead with department chair’s signature
- Extensions will generally be reviewed/approved within 3-5 business days; the scholar will receive a new DS-2019 form with the extended program end date.
Last modified January 25 2011 01:59 PM