University of Vermont

J-1 Visa Holders from Other Institutions

Occasionally scholars who are on a J-1 program at another institution are engaged at UVM for a lecture or short-term consultation.

What you need to provide the scholar prior to arrival:
An invitation letter including the following information:

  • The terms and conditions of the offer
  • The duration of the visit
  • Number of hours worked
  • Amount of compensation
  • A description of the content of the visit

What you need from the scholar in order to process reimbursement and payment:

  • Letter from the scholar’s J-1 adviser authorizing the short-term lecture/consultation
  • Copy of the DS-2019
  • Copies of the passport information page, US visa stamp, and white or green I-94 card

Process for paying J-1 scholars from other institutions with proper work authorization

The Check Request must be supported by the EE vs IC Status Determination Form, and:

1. Documentary evidence of payment eligibility:

  • copy of the DS-2019 form
  • "J-1" permission letter from the scholar’s responsible visa officer
  • copy of passport information page
  • copy of U.S. visa page
  • Form I-94 Arrival/Departure card

2. International Information Form (IIF) (PDF) completed, signed and dated by the individual, for the purpose of determining his or her tax residency status for US income tax purposes.

3. Form W-8BEN or Form W-9, as applicable

The Substantial Presence Test on the back-side of the IIF guides which IRS form the individual should complete in support of the payment:

Send Check Request, original receipts (if applicable) and supporting documentation to Procurement Services, who will forward to Controller’s Office same-day for tax review.

Last modified January 19 2011 02:31 PM

Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131