University of Vermont

Office of Health Promotion Research

OHPR Abstract 10

Abstract 1980-1989

Secker-Walker RH, Solomon LJ, Hill HC. A statewide survey of dentists' smoking cessation advice. J Am Dent Assoc. 1989 Jan;118(1):37-40.

The general practitioners of the Vermont State Dental Society (251) were surveyed in 1986 to determine their smoking cessation activities. Seventy-eight percent of the dentists completed the survey and 87% reported that they discussed concerns about smoking with their patients who smoke. They estimated spending an average of 2.4 minutes addressing cigarette smoking issues. Among those dentists who discussed smoking issues, the majority (60%) provided some advice on ways to change smoking behavior. The remaining 40% provided no guidance regarding smoking behavior change. The larger the proportion of smokers advised about smoking, the greater the dentists' interest in using incentives to help smokers make an attempt to quit.

Last modified September 16 2013 04:10 PM

Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131