Department of Music and Dance
Becoming a Music Major
1. Apply to the University
Visit the UVM Admissions page for more information.
2. Arrange your audition
All students must pass an Entrance (Level II) Audition to be accepted as a music major at UVM. You may audition on-campus at one of our Audition Days, or you may audition by CD or video.
On-Campus Audition Dates for Fall 2015 Applicants:
- *Saturday, October 18, 2014
- *Saturday, November 15, 2014
- Saturday, January 24, 2015
- Saturday, February 21, 2015
- Friday, March 20, 2015 (for transfer students)
*NOTE: Early action applicants must audition on one of these two dates.
Live Auditions: Live auditions are preferred, and are required for students wishing to be considered for departmental scholarships. Prospective students should schedule an in-person entrance audition on one of our on-campus audition dates (see box to the right) by completing an on-line Audition Request form. Students should be prepared to perform at least two solo pieces, etudes, sonatas, jazz standards, or other technical exercises that demonstrate their level of technical ability and musicality (specific Entrance (Level II) Audition requirements). Before making the trip to Burlington, please download and complete the UVM Music Audition Application Form (NOTE: This form requires at least one letter of recommendation from a music teacher). Bring the completed form and attached recommendation letter with you to your audition.
Pre-recorded Auditions: While live auditions are preferred (and required for students wishing to be considered for departmental scholarships), if a campus visit is not possible, prospective students may submit a video (DVD/MP4) or audio (CD/MP3) recording of their Entrance (Level II) Audition. Here's how:
- Prepare the recording using the specific Entrance (Level II) audition requirements for your instrument/voice
- Download and complete the UVM Music Audition Application Form (NOTE: This form requires at least one letter of recommendation from a music teacher)
- Include your full name, date of birth, address, and instrument/voice on all copies of audition-related materials
- Send the recording, audition application form, letter of recommendation, and any other information that can help us get to know you better to:
194 S. Prospect Street
Burlington, VT 05401
- Postmark deadlines for recordings:
- November 1: Early Action applicants
- March 1: for Regular applicants
- May 1: for Transfer applicants (for Fall semester)
PLEASE NOTE: If you apply to UVM as a music major, you must complete an Entrance (Level II) Audition before the Admissions Office will review your application. Please contact us for more information.
What if I am already a UVM
Current UVM students may schedule an Entrance (Level II) Audition on one of the Audition Days or at the beginning or end of each semester. Please contact us for more information.
Do I have to audition to become a music
Students interested in minoring in music are NOT required to take an Entrance (Level II) Audition. Minors must pass a Level I audition for private lessons, which is scheduled directly through the private lesson instructor. Requirements for passing a Level I vary from teacher to teacher.
Last modified October 02 2014 02:42 PM