1. According to your text book, which of the following is considered
to NOT be part of the Internet?
B) Usenet Newsgroups
C) Dial-up Bulletin Board
D) IRC Chat
2. The protocol, or method of packaging data, that the internet uses
is which of the following:
3. Which of the following Internet applications was shown in class as
a demonstration of what it was like to surf the Internet five or six years
4. Which of the following is NOT a web browser:
A) Netscape Navigator
B) Microsoft Internet Explorer
5. Which of the following media is connected to the network cards in
the back of the PCs in lab?
A) Fiber Optic Cable
B) Thick ethernet coaxial cable
C) Thin ethernet 10Base2
D) Twisted pair copper wire ethernet 10BaseT
E) EDI ribbon cable
6. Which of the following units is the largest?
7. Which of the following can store the MOST amount of data?
A) Standard CD
B) 3.5 inch diskette
D) Hard Disk
E) 8 inch floppy diskette
8. Imagine you were searching the web for an address of an organic tomato
farm in Shelburne,Vermont. You decided to go to the Altavista search
engine to find this information. Which of the following search entries
will be the narrowest search (or give you the least number of matching
documents or hits)?
A) Organic tomato farms in Shelburne Vermont
C) "Organic tomato farms" +"Shelburne Vermont"
D) Farms, organic, tomato, Vermont, Shelburne
E) "Tomato farms"+Shelburne, Vermont
9. Which of the following is the name for the electronic boxes in the
lab that sit under the bookshelves along the wall nearest the UVM Bookstore?
B) FDDI switches
E) Network cards
10. Which of the following is the Internet word meaning unwanted
messages (often advertisements) that can be sent to you via e-mail, or
posted to a newsgroup?
11. Which of the following search engines is a "Meta-searcher"
(in that it sends your key word requests to more than one search engine)?
12. Which of the following best describes the small prizes that
Jim Leonard from IBM gave out at his talk on Thursday?
A) PowerPC microprocessor chips
B) 4-Meg of IBM memory
C) Smart cards with a chip built onto the card
D) Com badges
E) Dilithium crystals
13. During the tour of zoo, Mike Austin displayed a new backup
media that the UVM machine room will be using in the near future.
Which of the following best describes this new storage media?
A) 4.7 Gig DVD disks
B) 165 Gig Narrow-beam HD-ROM CDs
C) 65-Gig tape cassettes (little bigger than standard audio cassette)
D) 120-Meg Zip-drive magnetic backup tapes
E) Reel-to-Reel tape drives
14. In class I walked you through the process of extracting
a picture file (that was attached to an e-mail message) and saving it to
your root directory on zoo. Then we copied this file from your root
directory to your public_html directory. Which of the following commands
did we use to copy the oswald.jpg file from your root directory to your
A) copy oswald.jpg public_html
B) cp oswald.jpg ~/public_html/oswald.jpg
C) oswald.jpg /public_html/ *.* cp
D) copy public_html/oswald.jpg
E) public_html/oswald.jpg copy
15. Imagine you turn on a PC here in the lab. You
double click on the Terminal (Telnet) QVT-4.0 icon, click on open, and
login to zoo with your username, password, and hit enter for the terminal
type. You then see something like: email@example.com>
Which of the following best describes where you are?
A) You are in your public_html directory
B) You are in your e-mail account
C) You are in your root or home directory
D) You are in deep trouble, how did you get into the President’s account!
E) You are in your e-mail directory
16. Imagine you are creating a new web page on zoo.
After creating and saving the HTML file, you go to MS-Internet Explorer
(IE) and type in the URL for that file. On the screen you see: Forbidden.
Which of the following best describes why you got this error message instead
of your web page?
A) You created the HTML file in your root or home directory instead of in your public_html directory.
B) You saved the file with a name in lower case letters, and the URL you typed in was in upper case.
C) There is not enough disk space on zoo to save your HTML file.
D) You saved the file as a binary file instead of as a text file.
E) You forgot to make the file visible to the public with the chmod 644 *.* command.
17. Imagine someone sends you an e-mail with an attached
image file called mountain.gif. You manage to copy the file into
your public_html directory. You decide to include the picture in
a web page. Which of the following tags is the correct HTML tag to
insert in the web page file so you image will appear.
B) <IMG SRC=mountain.gif>
D) <A HREF=mountain.gif>
18. Which of the following communication technologies will
NOT use the standard telephone lines that are already in place in Vermont?
C) Cable modems
D) ISDN lines
E) 56K modems
19. Which of the following communications media has the
A) Ethernet, 10BaseT
B) 10Base2 Thinnet single-shielded cable
C) Fiber Optic cable
D) Infrared beams
E) Microwave channel
20. Which of the following best describes the central issue in the current
lawsuit between the US government and Microsoft?
A) Microsoft has not paid its taxes in the last two years.
B) Microsoft is not taxed on its inventory like other hardware companies because its product is software, which is essentially electrons on a hard disk.
C) Microsoft is stifling innovation by trying to dominate the www browser market by bundling IE with Windows98.
D) Microsoft is in competition with IBM and INTEL in the microprocessor market.
E) Microsoft’s operating system Windows, is essentially a copy of the Apple operating system.