1. Which of the following is the correct URL for the Home Page for our
AGRI 85 Course?
2. According to the first timeline we saw in class which of the
following is the most recent event?
A) Invention of the bow and arrow
B) Invention of the Wheel
C) Domestication of Wheat
D) Discovery of the bone needle leading to sewing hoods, mittens & boots.
E) Domestication of sheep.
3. According to the second time line shown in class, the World Wide
Web, which led to the explosive growth of the Internet, was started approximately
how long ago?
A) Three years ago
B) Five years ago
C) Ten years ago
D) Twenty years ago
E) Fifty years ago
4. According to the reading in the textbook, and class notes,
which of the following lists of types of computers are in the correct order
from least to most powerful?
A) Desktop, Workstation, Mainframe, Supercomputer, Laptop.
B) Palm Pilot, Supercomputer, Server, Workstation, Notebook, Mainframe.
C) Palm Pilot, Notebook, Workstation, Server, Mainframe, Supercomputer.
D) Personal Digital Assistant (PDA), Calculator, Supercomputer, Workstation, Mainframe.
E) Minicomputer, Palmtop, Minitower PC, Unix Workstation, Server, Mainframe, Supercomputer.
5. Imagine you are on the way to one of the computer labs to print out
a paper that is saved on one of your diskettes. You meet a friend
who is leaving the lab who says there is a new variant of the “Nimba” virus
that has infected the PCs in the lab. Which of the following (if
any) would be the safest course of action to print your paper without getting
your diskette infected?
A) Dip the diskette into antiseptic fluid before and after using it in one of the infected machines.
B) Slide the write-protect tab OPEN on the diskette.
C) Use the diskette as is (un-protected) but shut off the PC BEFORE you remove the diskette.
D) Slide the write-protect tab SHUT on the diskette.
E) There is nothing you can do to prevent the diskette from getting infected.
6. Which of the following prefixes refers to one Quadrillion bytes
of storage space (1,000,000,000,000,000) or 10 to the 15th power.
7. Imagine you want to log into zoo to use pine to check your
e-mail. You sit down at one of the PCs in lab. Which of the
following software do you use to turn your PC into a terminal so you can
connect to zoo?
A) Windows Explorer
8. OK, now imagine you are logged into zoo and you see your zoo
prompt on the screen: zoo>
Which of the following is the software on zoo that is displaying this prompt?
A) Unix (AIX)
9. Following along from the previous question, which of the following
commands will display the files and sub-directories or folders that are
in your home directory on zoo.
B) Pull down the File menu with your mouse, click on List.
D) cd ..
E) show files
10. Which of the following media would be considered Memory rather
A) Hard Drive space
B) Zip drive space
C) DIMMs or SIMMs
E) Big Laser disks
11. When a drive light is on in a PC there is really one of two
major processes going on. One is that information is being read off
the media (disk, cd, dvd, etc.) and loaded into memory. Which of
the following is the other process that could be going on?
A) A virus is being loaded into the SIMMs.
B) Information is being saved or written onto the media.
C) Power is being distributed throughout the PC.
D) The drive light is a warning that the drive needs to be replaced.
E) The PC is about to explode!
12. According to the video we have watched in class, the process of
reverse engineering allowed which of the following companies to figure
out how to make a ROM-BIOS chip so that an IBM clone could be manufactured?
13. When you are using FTP as we did in lab, which part of the
FTP window displays all the folders on your PC?
A) The top right part of the window
B) The bottom left part of the window
C) The bottom right side of the window
D) The top left side of the window
E) The outside section of the window.
14. According to the Syllabus, the exams (two exams in class and
the final exam) will count for how much of following percentages of your
total course grade?
15. According to the textbook and class notes, which of the following
PC components would NOT be inserted in the expansion slot busses of a motherboard
or systems board?
A) Sound card
B) Memory module
D) NIC (Network Interface Card)
E) Video or Graphics Accelerator
16. According to the reading in the textbook, which of the following
media has the fastest access time?
B) Hard disk
C) Memory (RAM)
D) Tape drive
E) Floppy disk
17. Pico is to Unix (AIX) as which of the following is to Windows
18. Which of the following reasons best explains why the image
of your ftp window was sent in .jpg format, instead of in bitmapped or
.bmp format in the second lab assignment?
A) .jpg files are cheaper and easier to create than .bmp files.
B) .jpg files contain a clearer, more accurate representation of the original colors and shades of the image.
C) .jpg files can be viewed with web browsers such as Netscape.
D) .jpg is the only file type that Paint will open or save as.
E) All of the above.
19. According to the first two lab assignments, if you have an
open window on the screen, and you wish to capture that window as an image,
you may do so with which of the following methods?
A) Pull down the Tools menu and choose Capture.
B) Click on the window title bar and drag it to the “image” icon in the toolbar at the top of the screen.
C) Hold down the Ctrl key and tap the Print Screen key.
D) Set up a flash camera in front of your monitor and take a photograph.
E) Hold down the Alt key and tap the Print Screen key.
20. FTP Allows you to do which of the following?
A) Upload files from your PC to zoo.
B) Download files from zoo to your PC.
C) Delete files on zoo.
D) Create new folders on zoo.
E) All of the above.