1. According to the history of the Internet video we have been
watching, which of the following was the Pentagon office that set up the
funding and oversaw the development of the first digital network of computers
that later grew into what we know today as the Internet?
A) Advanced Research Programs Agency (ARPA)
B) Interstate Digital Computer Connections (IDCC)
C) Army Communications Corps (ACC)
D) International Telecommunications Office (ITO)
E) Universal Computer Language Agency (UCLA)
2. According to the calculations we did in class, which of the
following is the approximate number of people who regularly use the Internet
in the World today?
3. According to the discussion we had in lecture, which of the
following best describes worldwide paper use (total consumption) during
the last 50 years since computers and information technology have been
A) Paper use has gone down
B) Paper use had gone up
C) Paper use has remained about the same
D) Paper use has gone up, and then gone down
E) Paper use has gone down, and then gone up
4. Which of the following best explains why software developers
or programmers use compiled languages (rather than interpreted languages)
when creating software to sell?
A) Compiled languages are cheaper to buy than interpreted languages.
B) Compiled languages are more common. It is easier to get a compiled language for a PC than an interpreted language.
C) Compiled languages keep the source code hidden. The software developer can sell the binary and keep the source code.
D) Interpreted languages require both the source code and the interpreter to be in memory.
E) All of the above.
5. Which of the following is the binary sum of the binary numbers
1101 and 10101?
6. Imagine you are creating a web page like we did in the first
lab of web page construction. Which of the following was the Window
text editor that we used to create our HTML file?
7. Which of the following is the correct full spelling of the acronym
A) Hyper Text Transmission Packet
B) Hotlink Transfer Teletype Program
C) Hyper Text Transfer Protocol
D) Host Transmission Text Protocol
E) Hypercard Translator Text Program
8. Which of the following is the correct full spelling of the
A) Universal Registered Lexicon
B) Uniform Resource Locator
C) Unethical Remote Legislation
D) Unix Redirectional Location
E) Usenet Radio Layout
9. In the above Spreadsheet, which of the following would be the
correct formula to enter into the active cell?
10. OK, back to creating web pages. Which of the following
is the correct spelling of the acronym HTML?
A) Host Transfer Multipurpose Language
B) Hyper Text Markup Language
C) Hotlink Token Multimedia Locator
D) Header Transmission MPEG Locator
E) Host Text Modem Link
11. Imagine you are constructing a web page as we did in the first web
page lab (Lab 6). Which of the following is the correct tag for putting
a yellow background color on your page?
A) <BODY BGCOLOR=YELLOW>
C) <BODY BACKGROUND=YELLOW>
12. Which of the following is the correct tag to start a NUMBERED
13. Imagine you are on the web in lab and you find an image of
a snowboarder that you really want to use in your own web page. Which
of the following would work to save the image so you can later use it in
your own page?
A) Right mouse click on the image, choose SaveAs.
B) View the source HTML of the page to find the name of the file. Then change the URL in the browser so it points to that image. Copy the URL so you can later paste it into the image tag.
C) Get a digital camera, and capture an image of the screen that has the image. Save your digital camera image as a .jpg file so you can later use it in your page.
D) Print out the web page. Then, scan the page with a flatbed scanner and save the image as a .gif file to be used later in your page
E) All of the above will work.
14. Following along from the previous question, imagine you have
the file you want saved on your diskette as SNOWB.GIF. Your HTML
file that you are working on is also saved on your diskette. Which
of the following is the correct tag to use for the image to appear in your
B) <IMG SRC=SNOWB.GIF>
E) <PIC SRC=SNOWB.GIF>
15. Following along from the previous question, which of the following
tags is the correct tag for a link to the UVM homepage?
A) <A HREF=http://www.uvm.edu/> Visit UVM </A>
C) <LINK=http://www.uvm.edu>Click here for UVM
D) <Check out UVM Here=http://www.uvm.edu>
E) <A LINK=Visit UVM here>http://www.uvm.edu</A>
16. Following along from the previous question, which of the following
would be the very LAST tag you would enter at the bottom of your HTML?
17. According to the reading in the textbook, which of the following
persons created the World Wide Web?
A) John Bramley
B) Karen Plaut
C) Tim Berners-Lee
D) Ralph Stanley
E) Len Kleinrock
18. According to the reading assignment “How Hackers Break In
and How They are Caught” which of following is the type of company that
was broken into by the villain abednego?
A) telephone company
B) refrigerator company
C) PC sales company
D) Cable TV company
E) COSTCO discount company
19. Imagine you create a web page the way we did in the Second web page
lab (Lab 7). You save your HTML file and point the browser to your
file using the URL: http://
www.uvm.edu/~yourID/file.html. The “Forbidden” message is then displayed on the screen. Which of the following best describes why you got the “Forbidden” message?
A) Unix (AIX) is case sensitive. You need to type file name in with exactly the same upper and lower case letters.
B) The file is too large to display on the monitor. There is not enough VRAM in your PC.
C) Zoo is temporarily down.
D) The file permissions need to be changed on your HTML file so the file is visible to the public.
E) None of the above.
20. Which of the following is NOT a programming language?
C) Visual Basic